Warm weather, draped bust...

Michellets

Nov 12, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Ace 250 Big and Small coils, AT-Pro
I was at a old house and found my first draped bust large cent. I believe it is the 1794 variety, unfortunately I can't make out the date under the bust, and I refuse to do anything but sprinkle some water on it. Oldest American coin I ever found yet.

Attachments

• DSC01356.jpg
    DSC01356.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC01356.jpg
    DSC01356.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 497
  • DSC01357.jpg
    DSC01357.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC01356.jpg
    DSC01356.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 499
Upvote 0
Congrats on a first & welcome from the UK.

Nice find! Did ya scratch it? Looks like a little bit of a ding on the obverse side! Still, better than anything I've found!

Congrats!

No scratches, except for the ones that time put to it, I think it just caught some light in the photo.

Congrats on the LC! It may have rubbed a stone coming out. HH, Mike

Draped Bust were minted from 1796 to 1807 inclusive, so it's not a '94. However, it is a fantastic item to pull from the ground!

Use a flat bed scanner to scan the front of the coin and then use an editing software like ArcSoft Photo Studio 5 to creat a negative image, this should help pull the date. I have attached a couple of photos showing how the negative helps show hidden detail. Be sure the scanner is atleast 1200 dpi.

If you are willing to let it go for a few days, I would be more than happy to scan it for you and email the pictures and send the coin back. PM for details if you are interested.

On the pictures below, notice the machine doubling on the ONE CENT and on Jeffersons chin and nose.

Attachments

• 1996 DDR.jpg
    1996 DDR.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 331
  • leno2.jpg
    leno2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 339
Welcome to TN,
That's a nice coin. don't do anything else to it.
Tennessee Joe

I looked more at the red book, and have realized that the leaf configuration on the back is more likely that of an 1804.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back