Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro, Quest x10 idmaXx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today at an early 1800s farmstead site. I think it ma be a Napoleon 1812 War Period Sword Belt Buckle. All help greatly appreciated.
3FB042C3-C968-406F-8C67-86630A52ED4C.jpeg
57F38A07-FBF9-4487-ACBF-1768DD82876F.jpeg

great recovery , I'm not knowledgeable on that buckle but I'd sure be happy to find one. a banner find in my world.

Upvote 1
Cool definitely looks like a Lion Head Sword Belt Buckle. They were used by Napoleonic and British forces if I recall correctly, plus a variation purportedly used by Confederate forces.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The key to identifying your buckle would be the construction of it.

Yours has no border around the lions head, oval loop attached to the backside of the lions head.

There are rectangular and triangular looped ones, heads with borders, and loops that are installed past the head on a bar. So you'll have to find one like yours to date it.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Awesome find!!
This looks close. Same belt loop size.
French Army Waist Belt Plate “Lion’s Head Buckle”
U
French Army Waist Belt Plate “Lion’s Head Buckle”

Identifier​

BD0021-LionBuckle
DownloadBD0021-LionBuckle1.JPG (246 KB)
DownloadBD0021-LionBuckle2.jpg (8 KB)

Creation Date​

Disciplines​

Latin American History | Military History | United States History

Description​

A sculptured head of a lion with a belt loop on the left and applied s-link connector on the right. Waist Belt Plate “Lion’s Head Buckle” Ca. 1830’s-1840’s Plate # Lion’s head - Ht. 34mm Belt loop- 47mm Dug in the vicinity of Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico Collection: Port Isabel Historical Museum Port Isabel, Texas Cast and filed brass, whole.
I've exhausted my Google-Fu, as I couldn't come up with an example like yours. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

That's the good thing and bad thing about pain, it keeps you awake, which gives you plenty of time to scour the internet.
thank you for your effort Sarge.

Upvote 5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back