VTSwinger

May 5, 2017
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
XP DEUS 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a spot I've spent well over 40 hours detecting for several years. It's produced lots of buttons and a few coins (1905 - 1835) all within an iron patch that's full of square nails that all sound amazing. Today I went there as a back up when my 1st choice of locations fell through and I told myself that I couldn't go to the iron patch (like I always end up doing) and I had to try and find a new hot spot. I succeeded at this goal for a while, turned up a few flat buttons here and there, but as I got closer to the iron patch I noticed that whomever had recently hayed took a corner a bit wide. For me this was the the best mistake they could make. An area fortified by 2 inch wide trees and dense shrubs now completely smashed and splintered to bits. They had cleared an extra 30 sq yards or so all directly off of the most productive part of the iron patch. I pulled a few spoon bowls right off the bat and then the 1812 infantry button immediately followed by the 1812 navy cuff link. Neither of these sounded great by any means so I proceeded to dig everything and anything. A few hours later, not willing to accept that my back to back 1812 finds were all there was to offer I looked at what was left of the thick brush area that had been spared. I pulled the bottom half of my deus II off the handle, tucked the receiver in my pocket, and got on my hands a knees and crawled around as best I could while trying to swing out in front of me. Several sticks to the face and a body covered in prickers later I managed to get over the Hibernia with this "technique" but it was really hard going, I'm sure there is stuff in there I missed but that'll have to be for another day.

Attachments

• PXL_20230921_011818292.jpg
    PXL_20230921_011818292.jpg
    841.3 KB · Views: 153
  • PXL_20230921_011416235.jpg
    PXL_20230921_011416235.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 130
  • PXL_20230921_013923859.jpg
    PXL_20230921_013923859.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 114
  • PXL_20230920_214430290.jpg
    PXL_20230920_214430290.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
  • navy cuff ID.jpeg
    navy cuff ID.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 127
Upvote 28
Oh to be young again and be able to crawl around on hads and knees! (84 year old female)
You don't have to be young to crawl. Just persistent. 8-) . I regularly include "movement on the ground", including crawling, as part of my exercise regimen, and I'm not young (60-ish).

Went to a spot I've spent well over 40 hours detecting for several years. It's produced lots of buttons and a few coins (1905 - 1835) all within an iron patch that's full of square nails that all sound amazing. Today I went there as a back up when my 1st choice of locations fell through and I told myself that I couldn't go to the iron patch (like I always end up doing) and I had to try and find a new hot spot. I succeeded at this goal for a while, turned up a few flat buttons here and there, but as I got closer to the iron patch I noticed that whomever had recently hayed took a corner a bit wide. For me this was the the best mistake they could make. An area fortified by 2 inch wide trees and dense shrubs now completely smashed and splintered to bits. They had cleared an extra 30 sq yards or so all directly off of the most productive part of the iron patch. I pulled a few spoon bowls right off the bat and then the 1812 infantry button immediately followed by the 1812 navy cuff link. Neither of these sounded great by any means so I proceeded to dig everything and anything. A few hours later, not willing to accept that my back to back 1812 finds were all there was to offer I looked at what was left of the thick brush area that had been spared. I pulled the bottom half of my deus II off the handle, tucked the receiver in my pocket, and got on my hands a knees and crawled around as best I could while trying to swing out in front of me. Several sticks to the face and a body covered in prickers later I managed to get over the Hibernia with this "technique" but it was really hard going, I'm sure there is stuff in there I missed but that'll have to be for another day.
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!! Like the Button!!

That is a beauty! Thanks for sharing.

Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back