War of 1812 button or earlier????

DIG ADK MTN

Jun 17, 2017
Vernon Center, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this button (this morning) on my property along with some other really cool items over the past couple of weeks. Eagle IMG_0414.JPGIMG_0413.JPG
I believe it's a NY STATE General use militia button made from 1800 - 1815. Its hard to make out because I haven't done much cleaning on this yet but excelsior is under the eagle perch. I have seen some other variations of this button but have only seen one like this on the internet. Please stop raining now so I can go back to digging! Tornado yesterday just down the road less than a mile now more rain.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    538.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Upvote 4
Nice button! Sorry, can't help with the i.d., but there's many on here that can...congrats on a great find. Ddf

Looks like an Excelsior New York Miltia Button.
Hard to tell what year from the pic. There are several varieties.
I dug one circa 1800-15 that still has the silver gilt. Yours looks similar to mine.
The design shows an eagle perched on top of a globe.
Nice find.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Yep, same as yours but not as nice that's for sure. Sorry about picture but I was able to use my loupe to get details, mine is pretty worn and crusty

Yep, same as yours but not as nice that's for sure. Sorry about picture but I was able to use my loupe to get details, mine is pretty worn and crusty
Still an awesome find. Congrats. Chances are that there are more flat buttons and relics there to be found.

Very very nice button. Bonepicker looks like he has a solid match. Excellent score!

Very nice old button. Maybe not the prettiest but, it's still historically very cool. Nice find.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back