War And Peace - 4th silver in 2 months

C L A D Z I L L A

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok so it's not quite war and peace more like war and yin yang but that didn't sound as cool.. Couple hour trip at a public park and I found a 1944 war nickel in really good shape some clad and a yin yang necklace trinket.

I was shocked when I found this because the signal was showing what I expected a regular nickel to show on the VDI, but as soon as I saw it I knew what it was cause it wasn't dark like all the nickels I've dug so far. Wish I got a picture in the hole but the heavens opened up just as I was digging it.. Needless to say I kept on hunting and learned that lightning cause some audio disturbance on a machine. Lol

2 months at this and I'm hooked for life. Can't wait to find the next silver!!!!

Attachments

• image-291619233.jpg
    image-291619233.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 85
  • image-847068137.jpg
    image-847068137.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 4
Same here with a CTX. The war nickels will read low because they are only about 35% silver and the other metal contents will lower the reading. I haven't found a war nickel this calendar year as of yet.

I've had my At Pro for 16 months now I finally feel I know what I'm doing. My goal this year was to find an Indian penny. Got 8 already

Nice finds!

Or was that your machine screaming "ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!????? GET US OUT OF HERE BEFORE WE FRY!!!! in your ear?

Sweet war nickel! Mine rang in the same as regular one also

I've had my At Pro for 16 months now I finally feel I know what I'm doing. My goal this year was to find an Indian penny. Got 8 already

My atpro screams at indians

Great stuff :) the war nickels still evade me but I've been pullin every other type. So keep diggin
Thx for sharing:)

My War nick rang just like a clad nick, if I heard interference from lighting I'd been running for the truck! Glad you saved it! I'm a very patriotic guy, makes those War Nickles very special!

Found my first ever war nickel Tuesday and it came out different than any other nickel I found. It was my first silver coin with my new AT pro. Good job!

Found my first ever war nickel Tuesday and it came out different than any other nickel I found. It was my first silver coin with my new AT pro. Good job!

I'm curious what mode you were using? I swear I missed this coin in pro coin mode. It was near a mercury dime I had found on a previous hunt and I had worked the area fairly hard a couple times since then.. But I read several users on here recommend hunting in pro zero mode and when I tried that this nickel screamed to be dug, it was only 2' deep with a crisp tone. Is it my imagination or has this happened to anyone else?

I'm curious what mode you were using? I swear I missed this coin in pro coin mode. It was near a mercury dime I had found on a previous hunt and I had worked the area fairly hard a couple times since then.. But I read several users on here recommend hunting in pro zero mode and when I tried that this nickel screamed to be dug, it was only 2' deep with a crisp tone. Is it my imagination or has this happened to anyone else?
I hunt in both modes, I have had my machine for about a year, JMO but I find it hard to believe that you would have missed that Nickle just because you were in coin mode. Maybe doing some air test with both coins and both mode might shed some light, I just feel it must of been something else (speed of swing, total miss of target, coin on edge, ground balance, direction of swing) I'm not saying your doing something wrong, there are a hundred things that could make a difference, very interesting. Just speaking for myself, early on I had a learning curve and have been back to many spots and have found stuff I missed. My biggest belief is the ground moves allot more then we think, summer time especially, roots/plants, grubs, worms, moles and voles. I don't claim I know, I just know enough that anything would not surprise me.

. It was bounced from 45 to 51 but it did come up and yes I was in pro mode

Maybe there was just enough iron close to mask it. At the end of the day you found it, well done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back