✅ SOLVED Wanting to know what these are.

AtrumVorago

Dec 19, 2012
Anyone know what I have here.
Thank you in advance.

image-3590804878.jpg

image-987248345.jpg

image-2754575341.jpg

image-2580463386.jpg

I was a "rockhound" back in my teens (40-50 years ago), so my knowledge of Minerology is now a bit rusty. To me, those objects look like either Galena (lead ore) or Iron Pyrite ("fool's-gold"). Galena is silvery, and Pyrite is of course usually "pale golden-ish." Due to the vagaries of color accuracy in digital photography, I can't be sure about the color of yours. Their shape looks cubic-based, and appears silvery in the photo, so I lean toward them being Galena.

Another clue is weight. Galena's Specific Gravity is 7.2 to 7.6, just slightly higher than cast-iron. Pyrite rates 4.9 to 5.1, significantly lighter than iron.

You could do what is called a "streak test." (No jokes from you other oldtimers, please.) Pyrite makes a Greenish-black to brownish-black streak on unglazed ceramics (like the underside of a toilet-tank's lid), and Galena's streak is lead-grey.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thank you again sir. And thank you for the link. We did some research and I did the toilet lid test. It's Galena. Good day to you sir.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back