Want more places to hunt?Then try this...

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Want more places to hunt? Then try this...

...join your local area's history society. I joined the Hatfield Museum & History Society last month, and after telling the president about my hobby, he has emailed me information on three former farmsteads in the township that the Society now has a renewed :metaldetector: interest in lol...

So anyway, I went to the first one he told me about, a now-demolished house/barn site bisected by an access road. The entire property tract is owned by an industrial park, which is great bc in my experience, industrial complexes don't care about recreational use as long as you're not doing anything right outside the office windows. Anywho, this was where I found the skeleton of the old manure spreader.

I haven't yet made it out to the second site, which sits at the corner of an intersection whose roads surrounded the farm. This old site is also currently owned by an industrial complex. Will post pics when I make it out that way.

The third site I scouted yesterday; it is a colonial-era dairy farm that may have seen some sort of use up until about 2007 and is now owned by the Keystone Fellowship Church in Montgomeryville, PA, who has future plans for a church on the site that will use the old home as a youth center of some sort. However, it was plainly evident that the farmstead and barn have been abandoned since long before 2007. Only the barn's foundation remains in crumbling ruins, aside one remaining silo out of two (as evidenced by the round concrete pad). The 2-story log house is standing, but in a complete state of disrepair.

house 2.jpginterior 1.jpginterior 2.jpg

Anyway, I surveyed the barn and backyard area and found these:

Orvilla Farm finds 1.jpg

From the "What Is It?" forum I know that the chain is a dairy stall chain, I found a pair of those in the ruins of the barn, didn't have to dig for any of this stuff. In the upper left corner is a pale green 4"x 4" tile, lower right is a collection of 0.25"x 0.25" blue mosaic tiles. Centered is a W & S Butcher Co. planing blade and, on the sheet of paper, is a clay symmetrical design tile. To the right are six glazed 3"x 6" ceramic tiles. My collection bag was pretty heavy when I left.

The 3x6 tiles all have a giant "AO" on the bottom; the square tile says "AO 132" and "Made in USA". The clay design tile has no markings.

I can't wait til the ground thaws so I can really hit these sites :laughing7: I have no problem donating significant finds to the history society, since my primary purpose in MDing is numismatics and exonumia, so helping the township document its history is a perk :)
I couldn't believe how on board they are with MDing; actually, the president told me he himself used to MD about 20 years ago :headbang:

Upvote 1
I've wanted to contact some Historical Societies for leADS but have;nt yet.
The Society near my work had an article in the paper that it acquired a 1792 house and property, and I intend to contact the president and ask permission to hunt the property with the understanding that artifacts will belong to the society. We will see what happens-must wait till ground is thawed in any case. Good for you on your sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back