Wanna Dig?

MrZonk$$

Aug 7, 2024
Tempe, Arizona
Hello,

My name is Steve and Iā€™m a lifer from Arizona. Tempe to be exact. Iā€™m a retired teacher and love to collect soda stuffā€”especially Dew. Iā€™ve always wanted to go digging or metal detecting but I donā€™t know anyone. Obviously, during the summer the ground is hard as rock and itā€™s brutally hot. Is there anyone from The Valley that does this kind of stuff.

Sincerelyā€”

Upvote 1
ā¹Hello,

My name is Steve and Iā€™m a lifer from Arizona. Tempe to be exact. Iā€™m a retired teacher and love to collect soda stuffā€”especially Dew. Iā€™ve always wanted to go digging or metal detecting but I donā€™t know anyone. Obviously, during the summer the ground is hard as rock and itā€™s brutally hot. Is there anyone from The Valley that does this kind of stuff.

Sincerelyā€”
Welcome to the forum.
There's a few folks that are in AZ.

You could also ask in the AZ section of the forum.

Question: Why do you need to know someone in order to dig or to detect?

...from Arizona. Tempe to be exact...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: ARIZONA for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

I live in Scottsdale, been hitting Tempe a lot recently actually. I go metal detecting often. I would like to try bottle digging as well but not sure where to begin for that. If you want to meet up and swing around sometime hmu

Question: Why do you need to know someone in order to dig or to detect?
Same reason I did--someone to learn the ropes from.

Steve, you might seek out metal detecting clubs near you. You can meet some folks, and learn a lot.

Steve, you might seek out metal detecting clubs near you. You can meet some folks, and learn a lot.
Maybe Steve will return one day and see the query and suggestions.

Did you find someone, and did you learn the roped from them?

I remember these 2 fellows showed up at my yard once, and asked me to teach them how to buy and sell.

I said how can I explain and show you 40 yrs of experience because it would be difficult to explain the intricacies of each purchase/item/time/place/sale. Each has a similar theme but how it was obtained or sold but there's a lot of other factors.

Now apply this to detecting and sure the basics can be shown and learned.
But the decades that have been put into digging has lots of little tweaks that happen at any given time.

I guess it all comes down to experience.

Maybe Steve will return one day and see the query and suggestions.
I didn't see the thread was a week old. šŸ˜“

Did you find someone, and did you learn the roped from them?
I learned more than I knew before joining the club, and I (try to) learn something at every meeting/hunt.

I remember these 2 fellows showed up at my yard once, and asked me to teach them how to buy and sell.

I said how can I explain and show you 40 yrs of experience because it would be difficult to explain the intricacies of each purchase/item/time/place/sale. Each has a similar theme but how it was obtained or sold but there's a lot of other factors.

Now apply this to detecting and sure the basics can be shown and learned.
I thought that was all he was asking, and all I would expect.
But the decades that have been put into digging has lots of little tweaks that happen at any given time.

I guess it all comes down to experience.
That's a whole different ball-o-worms. I try to learn from anywhere I can--here, the club, people I meet, articles & vids.... I don't expect to learn/know everything anymore than I expect to find anything valuable--it's not a contest (or is it? šŸ¤Ø), but I expect to have fun anyway. šŸ˜

That's a whole different ball-o-worms. I try to learn from anywhere I can--here, the club, people I meet, articles & vids.... I don't expect to learn/know everything anymore than I expect to find anything valuable--it's not a contest (or is it? šŸ¤Ø), but I expect to have fun anyway. šŸ˜
Oh it's a never ending learning experience I have found.

There's the machine and all the variations of the different programs.
The actual basics of swinging (coil height/speed/keeping it level)
Recovery of the target

Then throw all that on to the different sites.
That contain different dirt, the amount of targets (meaning trash or iron)
Size of the site

Not a contest, though improving one's skills.
I certainly challenge myself on a few hard hit sites-if I can tweak out another non-ferrous target.
Testing a program-with the skill.

I've watched folks that have detected for decades swing the coil like they have a golf club on their arm, and the coil coverage looks similar to a Z or W. Just going through the motions really, but if they're enjoying what they're doing, or how they're doing it-it's not us to judge their style.

I have found that old habits are really hard to break-like looking at the screen all the time for that # and not trusting the ears.
I was given that advice 15 yrs ago-duck tape the screen! Let your ears do the work not your eyes.
Sound advice I might say.

I learned more than I knew before joining the club, and I (try to) learn something at every meeting/hunt.
I had forgotten... When we joined the club, they told us about seminars they had on things like recovery techniques, (different types of) artifact identification, local hazards (poisonous flora & fauna), and more.

There have been other learning opportunities... a trip to a military museum, lecture/demo on privy diving, and the club finds lost objects on request, which is another way to learn more.

Welcome from northeastern Oregon!

Hello,

Sincerelyā€”
Welcome on board! I'm in NM where the heat at the moment is brutal but fall is coming and that's one of my favorite times to relic hunt.
I've had no one to teach me anything with respect to this stuff, no one in person at any rate. I will say that folks on these forums have been helpful in my learning voyage and I think if you hang around these forums you'll see that it's very true. Lotta knowledge and experience here, I spend more time reading than posting. Lotta info online, I spend a lot of time reading on the science involved, the technology, history and all things related to relic hunting & archaeology but having an experienced mentor would be nice. Maybe I'll connect with a local eventually but until then I'm self taught and it's worked out pretty well. This place is a brilliant resource, use it to the max

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back