Walked right over big gold. Lesson learned!!

Dasseldig

Oct 26, 2012
Dassel, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went hunting with a buddy yesterday. We started at a park with a beach. He hit the water with his AT, and I hit the sand. Within 15 minutes he had a small gold ring in his scoop(his first) He continued in the water, and I moved to the park. Hours later, we left with the ring and a couple wheats I found in the park.
Stop number two was an older house in town where a friend lived. Right away in the front yard I was hitting deep silver dimes and wheats. My buddy started in the back yard. I was using coin mode on my 350, because I was figuring this to just be full of coins. After cleaning up the front yard, I went to the back with my buddy, but wasn't much back there. My buddy moved up to the front yard, and was hunting over where i'd been, and I was examining my loot on the front steps. I look over and see my buddy digging. Wondering what I missed I went over, Just in time to watch him pull a huge gold mens wedding band out of the ground. F*&^!!!!!! Lesson learned here. I put it on the ground and swung over it in coins mode, and the 350 did not make a peep, nothing. Put it in jewelry mode, and it grunted a solid bar just over a pull tab, and I definitely would have dug it. I usually keep it in the Jewelry mode, but was thinking there was no chance of any gold there. I had maybe just a little tear. :BangHead: Tony's Phone 678.jpgTony's Phone 677.jpg076.jpg

I did manage to find the fake ring with the fake jewel that had me excited for a few seconds.

Upvote 4
Hunt in All Metal and dig Every thing.

I like hearing stores when friends out do each other.:icon_thumright: I'm sorry it wasn't you with the gold.

because of my same experiance i use all metal mode.

Experience will teach us all lessons about detecting in time.
Part of the experience is knowing our machines and what the different modes tell us about what is in the ground. Having said that, keep in mind a target out of the ground is basically an air test of a machine; it is difficult to say what would have happened with the target in the ground , too many variables such as depth ,angles, whether you might have actually had your coil over the target, etc

I'm betting you might not miss the next one

I always use all metal mode.Because something like that teaches you lesson learned.Good luck with your future hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back