✅ SOLVED Wagon Parts? Old Logging Dump Site?

HomesteadHound

Oct 14, 2014
PNW
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Silver uMax, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found all of these in a shallow canyon where there were two large springboard notched cedar stumps. My guess is that they have something to do with logging, due to the fact that the area I found them in was logged in the early 1900s. There is a shovel head and a splitting wedge in there. I know what those are. But the main piece I am curious about is the large piece that looks like it could be some type of axle? If anybody can tell me anything about these finds, it would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0595[1].JPG
    IMG_0595[1].JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0600[1].JPG
    IMG_0600[1].JPG
    2 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0601[1].JPG
    IMG_0601[1].JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0603[1].JPG
    IMG_0603[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0604[1].JPG
    IMG_0604[1].JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0609[1].JPG
    IMG_0609[1].JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
looks like an early automobile front axle assembly, not sure what that is on the end of the wooden spoked wheel hub, but the rest of it is similar to the set up on Ford Model T's, though I am no expert on Model T fords or early cars, just that there are similar structures. The wheel was definitely a wooden spoked wheel, but not a wagon in my opinion. The rods forming the triangle off of the axle were I believe referred to as a 'wishbone'

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. There was a homestead about 50 yards or so up the hill from where I found all of these pieces. Maybe the homesteaders tore apart their old rig and tossed the parts that were no good into the canyon. Thanks for the input, littleneck!

Upvote 0
Sometimes loggers build there own equipment from other parts, it looks like it could be part of a wagon or something related to farming.

Attachments

• Mechanical Parts.jpg
    Mechanical Parts.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0
Oh, and if that v shaped part was flipped towards the way that I pointed to the direction of travel in the photo something could be attached to it in order to pull it.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot, Ant! So you're saying this was probably jimmy rigged from various mechanical parts? Makes sense. Back in the day all those loggers had out there were whatever they brought along. They fashioned what they could from what they had. Thanks for the diagram!

Upvote 0
No I think it was made like is but could have been used with something else. I looks like part of a wagon or some platform, maybe a skid.

In Mississippi some paper (pulp) wood haulers use a winch, a rear axle differential with drum brakes and drive shaft mounted on a truck with no bed, they use a transmisson with a throughout gear to power it etc.

I started my logging experience on one of these, but that's a RR compared to what we had:

Attachments

• unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 79
Upvote 0
Oh, okay. Now I understand. Thanks for clearing that up.

Upvote 0
My mechanical mind tells me that the hub bearing failed on that side destroying the wheel and possibly the hub gears. Then they took the wheel off the hub and the hub off the spindle. Then they may have found a complete front steering section and left what you found for junk.

Upvote 0
So what do you think about the rim? Does it look like a wagon wheel rim? It looks more to me like there was possibly a tire because it is lipped all along the outside. Sorry for my ignorance, but I really like learning what this stuff is and how it worked.

Upvote 0
It looks like that rim had a rubber or wood tire, are those wire spokes that I've pointed out in the attached photo? Do you see a hole in the rim that an air valve would go (we use a shredder valve today)? It still could have had wooden spokes.
If I was going to install a steering system on what you found it might look like this:

Attachments

• Wheel 1.jpg
    Wheel 1.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0
I think it was part of a horse pulled wagon or platform, that v is what the horse was hooked up to and the wheels tracked with the horse. I'm thinking too modern.

Upvote 0
my initial thought on the original post was part of a manure spreader ................ wild guess tho ..........

Upvote 0
How modern are you thinking, Ant?

Upvote 0
Could you guys look at this page, I think it explains a lot in the pictures of wooden spoked wheels, and the Wishbone suspension on Ford cars. Someone with knowledge of the various sizes and measurements of such structure might even be able to tell you the make and model of the car the parts came from. Sure they could have been repurposed, but they originated in a early (teens) motor car.
Model T front wishbone axle

Upvote 0
Well looks like littleneckhalfshell nailed it down to being the front suspension from a model t ford. Well at least my diagrams basically depict what the original intended function was.

Upvote 0
Okay then. That's exactly what it is. The parts are right on point. It is definitely the front axle off of a Model T. Thanks again, littleneckhalfshell!

Upvote 0
Checked with a club member at Hudson Valley Old Time Power association and found out what the gear like assembly was on the end of the axle. It is part of a Stewart's-Warner speedometer, an aftermarket accessory since model T's didn't come with one. He also confirmed the Model T front end assessment.

Upvote 0
Well that's pretty darn cool. It makes you wonder what that thing was doing down there. Thanks for that extra bit of information.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back