Waco Guards Button?

Jun 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I have a couple of Waco Guards buttons that I'm trying to ID. They don't match anything known for the CW era and they are solid cast. They have a rope border and a faux cloth appearing back. I don't know if these are post-war, reunion, or modern reproductions. These are the only ones I've seen and since someone went to an effort to make these, regardless of era, I'd think there'd be more of them around. Any idea of the origin of these?

Thanks,

Bob

Attachments

• P1010175a.jpg
    P1010175a.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 163
  • P1010176a.jpg
    P1010176a.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 141
"Waco Guards" were a Texas unit that became part of Hood's Brigade and fought in Virginia. Some of them also fought in Tennessee and Georgia. This is a very rare button I am told.
waco guards.jpg

Upvote 0
I like the one in your pic, but I still don't know what to think of mine. Bein' a po' boy from Waco, mine may be the closest I'll come!

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Certainly not a Scoville two-piece, but any idea of what it was made for and when? If not CW, then Indian War Militia, Veterans Reunion, Centennial, modern repro??

Thanks,

Bob

Upvote 0
Hi,
The two "Waco Guards" buttons You've found are indeed modern repros.
They were made by a Canadian sutler-firm called "The Discriminating General" for our re-enactment group "Company A, "Waco Guards", 7th. Regiment Texas Volunteer Infantry" out of Norway, Europe and Waco, Texas in 2001.
I personally left a number of these buttons at the headstones of original Co. A, 7th. TX-members who fell at various battlefields in Tennessee and Mississippi when I participated in the re-enactment of the Battle of Raymond, Miss. in May 2001.
They were also distributed to 7th. Texas re-enactors living in and around Waco, Texas.
The Canadian firm has since changed name to "Access Heritage", but still have the buttons for sale at $1.99/ea.
British, Canadian, and American Buttons from Victorian Age and WW I
I remain,
Very Respectfully,
Your Ob't Serv't,
D.W. Blankenbaker
Comp'y A: "Waco Guards"
7th. Reg't Texas Vol. Inf'y
Re-enactors, Norway.

Upvote 0
Hi,
The two "Waco Guards" buttons You've found are indeed modern repros.
They were made by a Canadian sutler-firm called "The Discriminating General" for our re-enactment group "Company A, "Waco Guards", 7th. Regiment Texas Volunteer Infantry" out of Norway, Europe and Waco, Texas in 2001.
I personally left a number of these buttons at the headstones of original Co. A, 7th. TX-members who fell at various battlefields in Tennessee and Mississippi when I participated in the re-enactment of the Battle of Raymond, Miss. in May 2001.
They were also distributed to 7th. Texas re-enactors living in and around Waco, Texas.
The Canadian firm has since changed name to "Access Heritage", but still have the buttons for sale at $1.99/ea.
British, Canadian, and American Buttons from Victorian Age and WW I
I remain,
Very Respectfully,
Your Ob't Serv't,
D.W. Blankenbaker
Comp'y A: "Waco Guards"
7th. Reg't Texas Vol. Inf'y
Re-enactors, Norway.
I was just about to say repro's...lol:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread