Virginia Civil War Battle Site Finds

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Three of us were fortunate enough this past weekend to get permission at the site of a small but meaningful battle in VA. We really enjoyed researching it ahead of time and learning all we could from historical accounts. Here's what we found from several days of detecting. Will be making another post because of additional photos. Would greatly appreciate thoughts on which of these bullets are applicable to the period. We did find a pinfire cartridge and I have to add the photo of that one. Our favorite find was the Virginia state seal button with Sic Semper Tyrannis. Also got two modern silvers to boot. One bullet we thought was button at first, would appreciate your thoughts on that one with nub at end. Also, pretty sure we have a sword throat for top of sword scabbard. (Earthworks and Skunemonk were with me)

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    986.8 KB · Views: 178
  • bullets.jpg
    bullets.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 374
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    746.1 KB · Views: 141
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    396.5 KB · Views: 133
  • photo 2(1).JPG
    photo 2(1).JPG
    546.7 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 2
Love the VA button. Looks like there was a colonial house site there as well.

Congrats! Yea that button is a good find.

Your button is a FANTASTIC find! Great job - Get BACK there!!

Nice relics and VA button. Still looking for one of those. :)

nice finds - I do not think any of the bullets are CW, one is pewter, and the others all look too small or odd caliber. The one with the heavy ram mark could be, however it looks like it is all most likely due to an early house site (as evident by your other finds)

Nice button WTG!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back