Virginia Beach Metal detecting

treybird

Jun 12, 2024
Virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Hey everyone, I just moved to the Portsmouth/va beach area from southwestern PA after joining the coast guard and was wondering if anybody could give me a rundown of any public spots to hit. I’m unfamiliar with the rules as to where you can and cannot dig. I’m running the mine lab equinox 800 and have hit the beach a couple times and have had some luck with a couple silver rings but would love any other suggestions too. I know there is a lot of history in the area and I’m hoping to dig some of it up… also if anyone wants a buddy to do some detecting with my name is trey and I’d be more than happy to tag along.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Good Luck Trey, I don't live in Virginia and will say it might be hard to find someone willing to give up a sweet spot ...
Try vacant lots, Churchyards, school yards, any public parks that aren't posted against metal detecting...
I'm from NC so I don't know the laws in Virginia.... but generally speaking public places are fair game.
Good Luck.

Their are a lot of bay beaches with history, Chic Beach.. Ocean View.. Willoughby beach.... all along that stretch

Welcome Trey. Congrats on your joining the Coasties. My nephew just finished basic at Cape May and went to Brunswick, GA. Good luck on the beaches. Regs are different every where. Check in at the states forums on here, might find some help there.

Hey everyone, I just moved to the Portsmouth/va beach area from southwestern PA after joining the coast guard and was wondering if anybody could give me a rundown of any public spots to hit. I’m unfamiliar with the rules as to where you can and cannot dig. I’m running the mine lab equinox 800 and have hit the beach a couple times and have had some luck with a couple silver rings but would love any other suggestions too. I know there is a lot of history in the area and I’m hoping to dig some of it up… also if anyone wants a buddy to do some detecting with my name is trey and I’d be more than happy to tag along.
I've detected at Virginia Beach for years. Sometimes I left work and drove directly to VA Beach and detected all night until 0900 the following morning. I check the tides and wave heights and time my visits for the lowest tides coinciding with lowest wave heights... but also see if there are any beach activities, bands playing, or beach shows as well. Detecting after these are over, there is a good chance of finding something of value. I usually detected around the Hilton and a mile in each direction from there. Lots of trash, but that's what it takes to get the good finds. I never had a problem with detecting there. Just use good sense, stay out of the way of the cleanup tractors, stay away from crowded areas...wait for them to leave, throw the trash you find in the trashcan, etc.. Either dry sand or in the surf....I'd usually find something on every other visit. Have fun at VA Beach. It has been 4 years since I've detected there since I've moved to Texas.

I've detected at Virginia Beach for years. Sometimes I left work and drove directly to VA Beach and detected all night until 0900 the following morning. I check the tides and wave heights and time my visits for the lowest tides coinciding with lowest wave heights... but also see if there are any beach activities, bands playing, or beach shows as well. Detecting after these are over, there is a good chance of finding something of value. I usually detected around the Hilton and a mile in each direction from there. Lots of trash, but that's what it takes to get the good finds. I never had a problem with detecting there. Just use good sense, stay out of the way of the cleanup tractors, stay away from crowded areas...wait for them to leave, throw the trash you find in the trashcan, etc.. Either dry sand or in the surf....I'd usually find something on every other visit. Have fun at VA Beach. It has been 4 years since I've detected there since I've moved to Texas.
Thanks for the advice! Did you usually have better luck in the surf or dry sand?

Thanks for the advice! Did you usually have better luck in the surf or dry sand?
A little of both. the most valuable ring was just into the area where the sand gets wet. After a festival, show, or band playing, there were good finds in the dry sand where the crowd was participating. Around the Hilton is where I found the most. But I did find a Tiffany ring in the surf during low tide.

Also why I'm thinking of it. There is a place north of Virginia Beach called Aeries on the Bay Park. It's just a small roundabout where to park and one entrance to the beach there. Myself just found odds and ends, but a guy picked up a nice Mason gold ring when I was there. (Just another place to try out).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back