Vintage M1 Garand Stock with military mark?

WatchCollector56

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_5824.JPG
    IMG_5824.JPG
    510 KB · Views: 884
I found this additional marking behind where the trigger would go. Also, here is a zoomed in photo of the original marking.
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_5824.JPG
    IMG_5824.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1241.JPG
    IMG_1241.JPG
    569.8 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
Yep, Korean War vintage USGI stock. Desirable if it's nice since there have been alot of Korean War vintage Garands imported back into the country from overseas and many of them have replaced stocks that are incorrect. Guys spend thousands of dollars trying to restore their Garands to "as issued" configuration.

Upvote 0
Interesting! I've had the notion to get an M1 and even looked at a few as I travel. I've seen them priced in the 800 to 1300 range. Looks like I should be getting a bit better education on the key details of the M1 rifes found out on the market. I just about poped on one in SW Colorado, as it did look good to me, but I wasn't sure I knew the true value of it at that moment, plus I could see well the egerness in the dealer to get the deal done. That action tips me off a bit, but it could be that guys way of thinking a deals coming through for him?? I Had no reason to peg him a crook.... I'd like to find a working one, all original, but in well used condition. I want it because it was the rife my Dad used in Korea 1950-51.

Upvote 0
Interesting! I've had the notion to get an M1 and even looked at a few as I travel. I've seen them priced in the 800 to 1300 range. Looks like I should be getting a bit better education on the key details of the M1 rifes found out on the market. I just about poped on one in SW Colorado, as it did look good to me, but I wasn't sure I knew the true value of it at that moment, plus I could see well the egerness in the dealer to get the deal done. That action tips me off a bit, but it could be that guys way of thinking a deals coming through for him?? I Had no reason to peg him a crook.... I'd like to find a working one, all original, but in well used condition. I want it because it was the rife my Dad used in Korea 1950-51.
Sign up for the Civilian Marksmanship Program. If you are prior military or belong to an approved rod & gun club that's all that's required. GI issue Garands in a variety of conditions, graded by experts, and reasonable prices. Do it soon. The current administration in Washington is trying to kill all imports of military grade weapons. Rifle Sales - M1 Garand

Upvote 0
There are a lot of M1 Garands that have been returned from Korea starting something like 25 to 30 years ago. I bought one back then for $300.
But that's because I wanted one to shoot, not collect. Collector guns can get spendy. I ran into a guy getting a divorce and needing fast cash,
bought his civilian marksmanship rifle for $400, but honestly I don't know if it's a collector or a parts gun. I sold the one from Korea, and
truthfully haven't had much of a chance to shoot the new M1, and don't know where to start looking to see if it's a collector, but I will say the
stock and metal exterior is a lot better looking than the one from Korea, and what little shooting I've done with it doesn't appear to be any
better than the one from Korea.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Your tips should help me in a decision if I ever do get around to a purchase on one. I'd like just a good one to shoot and show. Collector grade, that's not I. I'm just a shotgun, rifle with a 4 wheel drive kinda fella.

Upvote 0
M 1 Grand to quote Gen Patton ---- " the greatest battle implement ever devised " Stock has good collector $$$

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Your tips should help me in a decision if I ever do get around to a purchase on one. I'd like just a good one to shoot and show. Collector grade, that's not I. I'm just a shotgun, rifle with a 4 wheel drive kinda fella.

Me to.

Upvote 0
M 1 Grand to quote Gen Patton ---- " the greatest battle implement ever devised " Stock has good collector $$$

I agree with the General, but something has happened during the last few years, I think that sitting in storage those rifles gained weight.
Our American Legion Post received some M1's from the DOD for use as ceremonial rifles, set up to shoot blanks at funerals etc. I tried to
run through the manual of arms, and OMG, those bloody things are heavy. I don't remember them being all that heavy even a few years
ago.

Upvote 0
Bound to be at least one more person who chambered their thumb when inserting a new ammo clip! I learned quickly after the first time--it was also my last time!

Upvote 0
I agree with the General, but something has happened during the last few years, I think that sitting in storage those rifles gained weight.
Our American Legion Post received some M1's from the DOD for use as ceremonial rifles, set up to shoot blanks at funerals etc. I tried to
run through the manual of arms, and OMG, those bloody things are heavy. I don't remember them being all that heavy even a few years
ago.
Please allow me to suggest something considerably lighter and in easier to find .308 caliber.. Because AR15s are for shooting squirrels. lol

Attachments

• Ds Arms Para Tactical Carbine resized.bmp
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,402
Upvote 0
Many of the M1 Garands were rebarreled at the Springfield Armory after WWII and Korea (sometimes only once but sometimes twice in it's life) with correct but later dated barrels. Some were also later rebarreled by Gunsmiths with original M1 Garand barrels or aftermarket replacement barrels. M1 Garands that are all original parts-wise are hard to come by unless you are lucky enough to find an Un-Issued Rifle and you have deep pockets! Estate Auctions of a WWII or Korean War Vet's personal items, are the best place to possibly find an untampered with M1 Garand. However, even then, you can't be certain it is all original unless it has been disassembled, checked and then reassembled by an Expert!

Frank

Upvote 0
ago.

Must be they soaked up all the cosmoline. ;-)

I have a Garand taste but a Mosin-Nagant pocketbook.

Upvote 0
Sign up for the Civilian Marksmanship Program. If you are prior military or belong to an approved rod & gun club that's all that's required. GI issue Garands in a variety of conditions, graded by experts, and reasonable prices. Do it soon. The current administration in Washington is trying to kill all imports of military grade weapons. Rifle Sales - M1 Garand

:icon_thumleft: The CMP is the best place to buy one. They also offer other vintage military surplus rifles when they get them in. I have also purchased 30-40 Krag rifles, 1903 Springfields, 1917 Enfields from them and they have had M1 Carbines in the past. They have a great forum too. CMP Forums

If you don't want to wait on a mail order you hand select one yourself at the CMP North Store at Camp Perry in Port Clinton Ohio or at the South Store in Anniston Alabama. It is a good idea to call ahead before making a long drive to verify what they currently have in stock.

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CMP store Anniston Read the requirements before visiting you need to be able to verify membership in a marknanship program

Upvote 0
building one from parts of varies years = still a M-1 Garand

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back