Victorian Cipher

DigableTones

Jul 25, 2020
Dolphin Coast, South Afriica
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on this piece? It has a Victorian crown and initials VR with the start of a serial number and the letter M engraved top right. I would love to know what it was originally from?

Thanks. back.jpgfront.jpg

It is indeed Queen Victoria's cypher, but it's not possible to reliably date it (and it's not necessarily from 'the last half of the 1800s'). That same cipher was in use all the way from 1837-1901. There is a tendency for ciphers from the later period of her reign to use non-script lettering, but that's not a reliable indicator.

The cipher was used on virtually everything you can think of which had an official use or connection (for metal items that would include signage, plates on containers or storage boxes, belt buckles and other uniform regalia both military and civic, and a whole host of other things) and on many non-official items as a mark of patriotism. I think it will be pretty tough to establish exactly what that one was used for.

Upvote 0

My first thought was similar to Bruce's... "part of a British military belt buckle".
Great historical info provided by Red-Coat as well. :notworthy:

I've tried to clean up your pic to have a better look at the writing on the front, as there's a lot of info on this piece that we can't see? :icon_scratch:
Can you give us the dimensions or take a pic of it with something for size comparison.

Dave

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back