VERY Unusual cartridge from Indian Wars era

jagdpolizei

Nov 26, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am trying to figure out the identity and purpose of this unusual cartridge. The case (only the brass or copper case) measures .5" (50 cal) and is 1 5/8" in length.....there is no base, therefor no headstamp. The projectile is pointed and appears to be manufacture this way. The base does not appear to have been cut off or deteriorated away....almost looks like it was manufacture this way....sort looks like one of those Morse cartridges, however this one, as well as the fired cases I have found (fired ones are just the cartridge tube measuring .5" diameter x 1 5/8" length), is clearly 50 cal. Thanks much in advance for any help 100_0450.JPG100_0449.JPG100_0447.JPGView attachment 1157757View attachment 1157758View attachment 1157759

Attachments

• unusual 45-70 bullet 1.jpg
    unusual 45-70 bullet 1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 127
  • unusual 45-70 bullet 2.jpg
    unusual 45-70 bullet 2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 115
  • unusual 45-70 bullet 3.jpg
    unusual 45-70 bullet 3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 108
Indentations on the tube in your pics show that it was crimped on to something. Maybe a tent pole top?

Perhaps the projectile fitting in it is just coincidental? :dontknow:

I'm not sure it is a cartridge of any kind...

Let's see what some of the gun guys say...

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Most likely not a cartridge.Copper casings were notorious for having the rifles extractor ripping the rim off the casing during extraction.(that was one of custers problems at little bighorn,his other problem was he was an idiot)If your case is copper it looks to even and clean for that to have happened.

Upvote 0
Most likely not a cartridge.Copper casings were notorious for having the rifles extractor ripping the rim off the casing during extraction.(that was one of custers problems at little bighorn,his other problem was he was an idiot)If your case is copper it looks to even and clean for that to have happened.

Yep! :laughing7:

Upvote 0
They hint of being ferrule's as DC Matt is leaning towards..
The pup tent a good idea.
Maybe feet for shooting sticks.
Survey equipment feet or camera tripod.
(?)

Upvote 0
I will research this....thanks much for all of your thoughts/experience

Upvote 0
Yeah...the projectile was found in the case.....the other 'empties' are same dimension in length and are perfect .50 cal dia....weird.....am wondering if there had been any experimental cartridge in this cal from the period which lacked the base or had a removable base, much like a 45-70 pattern which had attempted to use a removable base

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back