Very small Watch ?

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this yesterday on an old farm site. This place once had a log house, 1870's, and a later house built around 1900. Could anyone tell me the age? Was it made for kids ? At first I thought maybe it was a locket, but there's no hinge. Thanks. Kevin 100_1061 (800x600).jpg100_1064 (800x600).jpg

Judging by the small size, I think your watch was on a ladies brooch or pin, which was popular during the turn of the century.

VictorianLadiesBroochWatch.jpg

Does it have numbers or roman numerals? Can you see a name brand on the face? Can you open the back?

Nice find :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
Judging by the small size, I think your watch was on a ladies brooch or pin, which was popular during the turn of the century.

View attachment 1195593

Does it have numbers or roman numerals? Can you see a name brand on the face? Can you open the back?

Nice find :)
Breezie
Looked at it closer, and no markings. May soak it in olive oil a couple days and see if the back will come off. I can see where the bail, or part you put the chain has rotted off. Thanks for your help Breezie.

Upvote 0
Maybe a compass?

Upvote 0
I think it's for sure a watch. Maybe, nickel or silver. Memory stinks swiss? I think, or has the look of the case. There were a lot of smaller ornate pocket watch type watches. Used in jewelry too, like mentioned above. I'll look real quick later and post a pic if I can find one the same or similar. I'm not very organized! Some had really ornate dials and hands also.

View attachment 1195694View attachment 1195695

Sry, took pics in a hurry, and didn't want to play around with the camera. I grabbed a few from the project drawer that might be similar. Some a little bigger, but there are many, many different kinds and made different metals. Most are from later 1800's to early 1900,s.

If your careful, and find the seem on the back, it might pop open fairly easy. From there you might find numbers,name,marks that will identify it.

Again, I could be wrong too. But I really think it's a watch from what I see in your pics. I think I can see the crown(winder) and where the bow(loop thingy) went on. Most of that type weren't screw backs, but just in case, if there is no hinge showing try to unscrew or get back to turn first.Before trying to pry it open, like the kind that snap on.

Cool find!!! And to someone like me, holds more historical value and curiosity than anything else!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it's for sure a watch. Maybe, nickel or silver. Memory stinks swiss? I think, or has the look of the case. There were a lot of smaller ornate pocket watch type watches. Used in jewelry too, like mentioned above. I'll look real quick later and post a pic if I can find one the same or similar. I'm not very organized! Some had really ornate dials and hands also.

View attachment 1195694View attachment 1195695

Sry, took pics in a hurry, and didn't want to play around with the camera. I grabbed a few from the project drawer that might be similar. Some a little bigger, but there are many, many different kinds and made different metals. Most are from later 1800's to early 1900,s.

If your careful, and find the seem on the back, it might pop open fairly easy. From there you might find numbers,name,marks that will identify it.

Again, I could be wrong too. But I really think it's a watch from what I see in your pics. I think I can see the crown(winder) and where the bow(loop thingy) went on. Most of that type weren't screw backs, but just in case, if there is no hinge showing try to unscrew or get back to turn first.Before trying to pry it open, like the kind that snap on.

Cool find!!! And to someone like me, holds more historical value and curiosity than anything else!!!!!
Nitric, Thank you for the pics and responce. On it's best day, I don't think this one was ever as nice as those. The edege on the back is reeded like a coin, so that makes me think it may screw off as you mentioned. Got it soaking in olive oil, maybe that will loosen it up. Kevin

Upvote 0
HEY THERE BREEZE I AGREE. BUT IT IS A NEAT FIND.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back