PalmettoJoel

Jan 4, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics 8000
Whites Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys, I found this today and its my coolest key find by far! I was wondering about what time period y'all think it may be? I have searched google and am afraid that it may not have been an actual working key because of its ornateness and the lack of wear marks. It looks to be brass and was found at a rev war site which was also a homestead. Thanks in advance boys!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Is the ornate portion cast pot metal (light in the hand) or is it solid brass? Casting marks on the edges?
my first impression is not that old If it is a solid brass ornament I would say maybe late 1800's to as early as the 1930"s because of the zero security in the key.
If it is pot metal it is 1970's
1700's keys would be metal and would have an intricate key passage system for lock security.
My thoughts only

Cheers all

Upvote 0
I'd say it's modern...1970's look to it. Hopefully someone can tell you I'm wrong !

Upvote 0
Thanks guys. Yeah I had a sneaking suspicion that it wasn't as old as I hoped. Especially because of the piece that sticks into the lock. It doesn't look like older keys that I see online. And I just found an exact twin on google images. Oh well. Ill still display it proudly until I find a better one. Lol

Upvote 0
Maybe an old desk or chest key, some of those are ornate.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back