• lock, seal 002.jpg
    lock, seal 002.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 312
  • lock, seal 001.jpg
    lock, seal 001.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 309
Upvote 0
Re: very old lock & sealingwax stamp

They are both really old, the lock probably 1800's and the stamp might be too. Use steel wool to remove the rust then crisco or wd-40 to preserve it.

Awesome seal matrix! I would think it is much rarer than a silver coin, probably around 150-200 years old, I don't think the Italics are much older than that. As much as I look through detecting forums, I have never seen a seal matrix found in the states, you might have something there. No idea about the lock. HH, Mike

Thanks for posting the pics. That seal is really special!

Thanks, It's cool to find something that personal. I might go to the Shelby tax office and see if I can find a former owners name that matches the letters.

Good stuff!

HH

Lonewolfe

Hey RK, nice finds. I particularly like the wax seal. Here is what to do to stop the rust. I find lots of iron relics and have tried pretty much everything to preserve my collectables. This method works the best so far. I use a wire wheel brush to get most of the rust off. Then go to your hardware store and by Loctite, Extend, Rust Neutralizer. You will have to put on several coats and you can even spray it inside of the lock to help prevent further damage inside. This product will turn the item dark, but the final product looks great and you will have no further problem with the rust. Here is a scan of a lock I found after treatment. It looked at least as rusty as yours. Good luck and congrats on some good finds...Lance

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 149

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back