Very odd patina/oxidation on silver quarter and a nice dandy button

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went out for a few hours today and searched an early 1800's house. First find was this very old pewter salt/pepper shaker lid

pewter salt shaker top.JPG

I also found this nice dandy button

dandy button found August 6th.jpg
I pulled this out at 1.5 inches, when I got the signal I thought it was going to be a modern penny. Funny thing though, next signal was a modern pull tab at 2.5 inches. Kind of weird how things sink into the ground at different paces.

The last good find was this very oxidized 1943 quarter. It came out of the ground a greyish color. I have never found one this oxidized before. It was probably so oxidized from the soil.
1943 quarter.JPG

I disliked the color, so when I got home I decided to clean it. I tried lemon juice and electrolysis which helped some, but I ended up just using baking soda to get it clean.
1943 quarter cleaned.JPG

Upvote 16
Hey VT, cool finds, great saves! I really, REALLY like those big Dandy buttons that have some personality. And silver Washingtons are always welcome to the finds pouch, and yes, that one has had some fertilizer for lunch once or twice. Congrats on those very nice finds. Ddf.

Nice scores on the big Silver and that nice looking Dandy button. The quarter cleaned up nicely. Congrats!!

nice finds, congrats! :occasion14:

Great hunt nice quarter it has personality. Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back