Very odd grouping of small metal objects...need help!

capn

Greenie
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys.
I have this posted in a nother section but I feel like it belongs here as well.
My first guess on these objects is that they are trade pieces. Possibly cast copper beads and fur trade area, tin-like pieces. Maybe all strung together.
I'd love to know your thoughts!

There are 5 solid pieces that have holes all the way through them. 3 are UFO shaped and 2 are slightly conical. Tried to show this as best I can in the pics. They are solid, not hollow. They have carved/stamped decorations around them. One has a 6 pointed star with a grid patter, others that look like rays, etc.

There is also a hollow metal piece with 2 cones going into it. Very odd. The ball portion seems to be 2 sperate pieces connected together.

There is also have a circle of thin metal with 2 holes at the bottom, and hot air balloon/whale shaped piece of thin metal.

Finally there is what looks like a tiny spoon. Has a hole near the base of the spoon part and hand-decorated on the actually surface of the spoon.

NO IDEA if these are at all related or not. Someone placed them in a display case as a grouping.

I can get more pics if need be. Penny is for reference.

I would love any help! I'd be very impressed if anyone can positively ID any of this.

Thanks guys

21aempx.jpg

2daesky.jpg

2po5edk.jpg

2417ddd.jpg

x5drtk.jpg

30tnofk.jpg

14jq3hy.jpg

dgi5nk.jpg

2liv61s.jpg

np5ily.jpg

They look to be knobs for a small drawer.

Interesting finds, :)
Breezie

Upvote 0
In the photo with the penny, those appear to be bronze trade beads for the Indian trade. That said, I haven't read that or seen primary source material, but I've seen information for rein-actors that there were metal trade beads that look a lot like yours. Some beads were strung sideways also, which, if the one that has two cones connected has holes to string it through the sides, that's what you have. Looks to me like you might have found a neck-less, and if possible perhaps screen the area for glass beads also.
Here are some photos of brass trade beads.
bronze trade bead2.jpg bronze trade bead.jpg
Here are a couple strung sideways.
bronze trade bead1.jpg
And finally, one that is called a cone bead.
bronze trade bead3.jpg
These are supposed to be actual trade beads, not repo's.

Upvote 0
In the photo with the penny, those appear to be bronze trade beads for the Indian trade. That said, I haven't read that or seen primary source material, but I've seen information for rein-actors that there were metal trade beads that look a lot like yours. Some beads were strung sideways also, which, if the one that has two cones connected has holes to string it through the sides, that's what you have. Looks to me like you might have found a neck-less, and if possible perhaps screen the area for glass beads also.
Here are some photos of brass trade beads.
View attachment 911455 View attachment 911457
Here are a couple strung sideways.
View attachment 911459
And finally, one that is called a cone bead.
View attachment 911461
These are supposed to be actual trade beads, not repo's.

Those definitely have the same feel as what I have. Mine have smaller holes, but definitely similar. Similar motifs as well.

The hollow sphere with the cones does not have holes at the bottom, but a thread or cord could have easily strung through one cone and out the other. My first guess was that it was the center piece on a necklace.

Upvote 0
I also agree with Breezie, they could be what she says, and for some reason I can't like it. Don't know where the like button went.

Upvote 0
I also agree with Breezie, they could be what she says, and for some reason I can't like it. Don't know where the like button went.

Do you have any reference for something like that?
I can't find anything that's a knob that is this small and solid copper.
Also, each of the 5 solid pieces has a different design and shape. Seems odd that a drawer would have 5 different knobs.
It just seems odd that these are all together.

Upvote 0
Do you have any reference for something like that?
I can't find anything that's a knob that is this small and solid copper.
Also, each of the 5 solid pieces has a different design and shape. Seems odd that a drawer would have 5 different knobs.
It just seems odd that these are all together.

I agree with BosnMate in that they do look like trade beads. I'll try to find a pic of some smaller hardware knobs.

Upvote 0
I think it's more likely that they are beads, just that it's possible they are drawer pulls on something like a roll top desk. I'd like to know if there were any glass beads possibly in conjunction, thinking that they were probably strung incrementally with other non detectable beads of either bone, glass, or shell.

Upvote 0
I think it's more likely that they are beads, just that it's possible they are drawer pulls on something like a roll top desk. I'd like to know if there were any glass beads possibly in conjunction, thinking that they were probably strung incrementally with other non detectable beads of either bone, glass, or shell.

Unfortunately I bought these at an auction and I don't know the specific site :/

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back