Gardiner Maine
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F44

Attachments

• 20230429_202142.jpg
    20230429_202142.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 18
Nice. It looks to be a "junk" boat, as used in China, Japan and other parts of the Orient. I would be sure it's a pictorial fashion button. Oriental imagery of a "Chinoiserie" nature was popular in the West for a long time and in the late 19th Century there was a surge of interest in all things Japanese, driven in part by performances of the hugely popular opera "Mikado" beginning in 1885.

I would think the button imagery is probably Japanese rather than Chinese and relates to that period in the last part of the 1800s when Japanese-themed buttons, brooches and other items were widely produced in the West.

Nice. It looks to be a "junk" boat, as used in China, Japan and other parts of the Orient. I would be sure it's a pictorial fashion button. Oriental imagery of a "Chinoiserie" nature was popular in the West for a long time and in the late 19th Century there was a surge of interest in all things Japanese, driven in part by performances of the hugely popular opera "Mikado" beginning in 1885.

I would think the button imagery is probably Japanese rather than Chinese and relates to that period in the last part of the 1800s when Japanese-themed buttons, brooches and other items were widely produced in the West.
So it's likely from the late 1800's?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back