Very important question about Old apple tree gang painting and value?

koolaidsmile

May 17, 2012
I bought an old painting years ago just because my husband at the time (now ex) liked anything that had to go about the golfing sport. It was advertised on eBay with no artist name just old golf painting. Well after never even displaying it its been sitting in a cardboard sleeve for the last 6 or so years I decided to take a look at it and do some research on the artist. I found out that he's a famous painter Lealand or Leland Gustavson I see the first name spelled both ways. Anyway the painting is of the old apple tree gang at St. Andrews golf course in Yonkers N.Y. There a few pioneer golfers in the painting one being John Reid known as the father of golf. I do not know if this is an original painting or not? It seems to be oil on canvas and it is signed Gustavson and comparing his signature it looks like his but the only thing that throws me off is he died in 1966 but at the bottom of the painting on the canvas area where there is no paint it is printed copyrighted 1967 sportsman eyrie wayne,PA U.S.A. Could have this artist painted this before he passed away and they did not copyright it until 1967 its a little confusing and it makes a HUGE difference in value depending on if its an original or a copy! Pls help any info on this would be helpful and appreciated.

Kathy (koolaidsmile) :-)

image-3672793369.jpg

image-3841393280.jpg

image-509827001.jpg

image-2135657561.jpg

image-1581203494.jpg

image-2267840635.jpg

image-2273229143.jpg

I guess no one is gonna help me with this one :-( come on plsssss I have to keep this thread alive for some advice!!

Hi Kathy, it looks more like a print to me. Perhaps a print that was put over a canvas backing?? My father was a listed artist and I grew up with a lot of painters around and their works were never signed after they died. I have never seen a painting in a museum that was signed after an artist passed away, and I was brought up going to every art museum in NYC and going to many exhibits. Where are you located? Are there any quality art museums or galleries around there?? If so you should take it to one or two and see what they say. I could give you a better idea if I could see it in person since I can't look at brush strokes in the photos.

As there is a copyright symbol next to his name, I would assume it is a print.
Are there raised and lowered areas that would indicate it is a painting and not a print?

It's def not a print! It is oil on canvas without a doubt!

Oh and I didn't mean the signature was done after his death! That would be illegal. I meant maybe the copyright was put on after his death!

Oh and 1 more thing a place like palm valley art im sure would not sell prints!

If you look at the example I provided in the link above and use the zoom function you will see it is marked exactly the same way as yours. The Title is also done in the exact same style and it is from the same artist.

I can tell that it is an actual signature! The signature is not a copy of anything and its not any kind of paper or printing it is without a doubt oil on canvas.

Look at this new picture! I purposely took it at an angle so you can see the brush strokes!

image-739897198.jpg

They do prints on canvas also. My nephews are very well known artists and I can guarantee you that gallery's across the nation are selling print's of their work on canvas and they almost look like the original. If you didn't know the difference you would think it was an original painting. You can go to my nephews site and see that he sells his work as prints on canvas.

Ocean Clark | Official site of artist Ocean Clark

I've never known an original painting to have a copyright on it?

Best just to bring it to or email a few dealers for an opinion. Or the roadshow if its in town. If you have no dealers nearby, email a few regional auction houses saying you are interested in selling and get their opinions. They can prob give a good opinion just off your pics. Best of luck and let us know what you find out.

But I can see all the lumps and bumps inside the paint

I used to help my ex do print to canvas transfers. Paper is remover from print, colors of print added to canvas, then she would paint brush strokes with a clear paint, giving it a painted look.
That said, I have no idea what you have. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back