Very first Silver coins......Twice!

jt70

Apr 27, 2005
My Own World
Detector(s) used
DFX
Finally got permission to hunt the lot next door that used to have a church on it. Found 4 wheaties a crushed silver pocket watch housing missing the cover and 2 mercury dimes, my first silver coins. One is a 1934 in so so shape and the other(pictured) a 1923 in absolutely stunning condition for being in the ground so long. I looked int Mercs and this is what the coin folks call "Full Bands" I think. I have only covered about 1/4 of the lot so far.

Attachments

• 1923 Full Bands obverseb.jpg
    1923 Full Bands obverseb.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 315
  • 1923 Full Bands Reverseb.jpg
    1923 Full Bands Reverseb.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 0
That is in great shape WTG, keep it up!!

Attachments

• WTG1.jpg
    WTG1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 294
  • WTG1.jpg
    WTG1.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 293
Wow, congratulations. That thing looks like it could be fresh off the mint.

Thank you all so much'

I am thinking about Sending it for grading. The top value of the coin on the Proffessional coin grading service's web site is $1750.00 With a fully stricken band in the center and a noticable edge on the axe @ AU67. I am not sure what else they would consider when grading it. It is very detailed though

JT

AU 67?, There is no such grade, you must mean MS 67. An 67 is tuff to reach. You do have a full band there, very nice coin and looks mint state to me.

Yes you are right MS is for the higher grades. Please pardon me I am pretty new to the coin world. At any rate i can find photo's of mercs online and mine has noticably more detail than the ones i've looked at that are @ ms64. But then again someone else may or may not agree. I guess that is why they have grading services.

JT

Well regardless of the grade it sure looks good from here. I'll give ya fifty for it right now. LOL just kiddin. I cant believe a coin like that is worth 1750.00 dollars . Is it that particular year? Thanks for showing it and great find. HH

$1750 is where the 1923 Merc tops out on the PCGS web site @ MS67. I have no Idea what this one would grade at. It is very detailed and before i scanned it all i did was soak it in warm soapy water for a few mins and rinse it. The soil where i dug it up was kinda weird... very soft and silky feeling medium brown not at all like the gritty dark clay type soil in my yard. I hope to find some more goodies there in the days to come. Trust me ill let you know if i do. I really like coming here to talk to everyone.

Regards

JT

yeah, you can tell by the bands around the fasces... ?That coin is about as good as you are going to get outside of a proof set.

Nice!

WOW!!! NICE DIME, CANT BELIEVE THE SHAPE OF IT , REAL NICE. VALUE WISE THE RED BOOK 2005 HAS GOT IT AT $45.00 IN MS-63 CONDITION AND THATS TOUGH TO GET FROM ANY OF THESE DEALERS THAT YOU GO TO SEE. KEEP ON DIGGIN, THE ROOSTER

GRATS,Thats a sharp looking coin. Only a 1/4 searched hope you find more.HH

Nice find,

HH

Lonewolfe

From the Pic I'd guess about MS60.. Shows some wear, in order to be MS 63 or above the finish has to be nearly mirror finish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back