Very Cool Ornate Cap or Lid????

mtnbay

Jan 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit up an 1860's homestead out in some ranch lands. After dancing around a perturbed bull I had a few good finds. This one in particular is very ornate. I think it might be a lid or cap of some kind. It looks like it has a catch on one side and a hinge on the other. Any ideas? That is why I love this hobby so much, even a little find like this gets my blood pumping. Thanks for the help. IMG_6165.JPGIMG_6166.JPGIMG_6167.JPG

I believe it's half of a scent locket pendant, which many moons ago you would put something like a small bit of pizza in there so that you smell good.

Upvote 0
Perhaps it is lid from old snuff/pill box. Here is example.666443581_tp.jpg

Upvote 0
I think you got it.

Upvote 0
My guess...
Tis part of a Chatelaine.

images95BOTKWS.jpgfabulous_antique_filigree__gilt__silver_chatelaine_perfumescent_bottle_c1880_5_lgw.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am leaning towards the chatelaine. For anyone interested those little scent thingies are called vinagrettes

Cheers all

Upvote 0
Thank you all for the quick response. I think all are plausible, and it definitely gives me some research to do. If it is any of the above I am beyond happy as I think any of them would be way cool.

Upvote 0
I am leaning towards the chatelaine. For anyone interested those little scent thingies are called vinagrettes

Cheers all

AHHH yes... the word I could not remember... vinagrette.
chatelaines and vinagrettes resemble each other to me... well sorta... looks wise at times.
Thanks for input trdking... I think you helped solve this one.
This is NOW what I WAS thinking... heh :)

imagesJMBVQ9E2.jpgimagesDN28QJEJ.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A chatelaine and a vinaigrette are not specifically different items, which is to say a chatelaine can have a vinaigrette on it (or not). The vinaigrette is just one of the many possible pendants on a chatelaine. A vinaigrette may or may not include a glass bottle, and my guess was that this was of the style that didn't (I can always be wrong). The very same vinaigrette may be found as a neclace pendant, which is why I wasn't specific on that. I can't remember where I'd heard it (so may be inaccurate) that the bottle type was more often on a chatelaine, where the vented box type (like I think this is) was more popular on a necklace, so that it could be tucked into a lady's clothing if she wished not to exude an excess of the scent. And I still think pizza must have been popular in these, but I can't find good references to confirm it.
Any and all of this could be wrong.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back