New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I headed down to the Delaware Bay this morning about 9:00 am with the intentions of searching the shoreline at low tide for bottles and metal. When I pulled up I was greeted with 30 mph winds and a ice jam. Here are a couple of pix. In the first pic there should be about 80 yards of beach but there was 80 yards of ice ten ft high. Haaaaaaaaaa all the bottles are under the ice. I tried to look along the small beach head anyhow, but only lasted 30 mins. in that wind.

On the way home I stopped to try a 1600's site along a river, there was woods there blocking the wind so I thought if I could dig in the dirt I might get lucky. It also was a first time at this site, so a short hunt for prospecting seemed in order. First target was a penny signal, I had to poke through the ground by leaning on my Lesche knife and wiggling it to get through 2" of frozen dirt. I kind of made a dotted line circle, then popped the plug. I found a 1939 wheatie. Second target was a shotgun brass, haven't checked it yet but could tell it's old. Third target I could not get through the dirt, it was extremely cold so I gave up (penny signal anyhow) and headed for the truck. I walked around a little while longer just detecting looking for good signals. Signals were very few, strange, should have been much more. Seem like it could be lacking because it more than likely has been hunted hard. My neck of the woods has been for many years hunted by metal detectors. I still like it, could very easily have some very old targets in it that have been missed. I will be back there in better weather.

Upvote 8
Very brave! Be careful around that ice!

Same thing up here on Lake Michigan. You really don't know where the beach ends and the water starts so not worth getting close.

outstanding.gif

I had to get out of the house, someone told me we are supposed to get more snow tonight, ha lol
I might hit the library tomorrow, do some research.

Yep, that's pretty hardcore. WTG!

My hat's off to you.

But, folks, please be careful with this cold! I know how much of an addiction this hobby is, believe me!
The thing is, most of what we want to dig out there has been buried a long time ago! It's seen hundreds of Winters in the ground. It WILL be there when you can safely go hunting. What a complete waste it would be to lose someone over the need to HAVE to dig SOMETHING! EVEN a penny!

Yes, I understand. But, PLEASE! Be careful and take care of you!

yep..more snow tonight,not much though..I hunt down on the bay too,I can wait for the the thaw..gonna use some vacation time and hit it hard in March

Hello treblehunter. Dang!! You 'da man for hunting in that kind of weather!!! Glad I am a Florida Finder. I hope things warm up for 'ya. C9

Believe me there was nothing death defying about my hunt this morning. I worked all the time in cold like that for years, I could spend thirty mins. in it and not die. I was not walking on the ice at the beach spot, nothing dangerous about where I was walking there. Those two spots were almost like night and day, if it had not been frozen ground I would have spent a few hours at the second spot.

Believe me there was nothing death defying about my hunt this morning. I worked all the time in cold like that for years, I could spend thirty mins. in it and not die. I was not walking on the ice at the beach spot, nothing dangerous about where I was walking there. Those two spots were almost like night and day, if it had not been frozen ground I would have spent a few hours at the second spot.

Oh, I should've said I didn't mean you in this caution of mine. Just in general. I see people doing things out of force of habit/will even taking chances that are better not attempted. I lost a friend once due to this. He was an AVID runner. I used to be in another millennium. I ran marathons. So, I know all about forcing issues. But, you see, he would run EVERY day, sometimes twice a day! To him, the runner's high was an addiction. It was just mind over matter.

Anyway, one really, really cold day, he went out, slipped, knocked himself out and froze. So, you see, I'm a little sensitive to seeing people taking chances. At least this hobby has a few checks and balances. After all, if the ground is frozen solid, you might die of a heart attack trying to obstinately dig through the ice, :) , but it's not likely. LOL

Just be careful guys!

Great story and pictures, congratulations on the finds..

Oh, I should've said I didn't mean you in this caution of mine. Just in general. I see people doing things out of force of habit/will even taking chances that are better not attempted. I lost a friend once due to this. He was an AVID runner. I used to be in another millennium. I ran marathons. So, I know all about forcing issues. But, you see, he would run EVERY day, sometimes twice a day! To him, the runner's high was an addiction. It was just mind over matter.

Anyway, one really, really cold day, he went out, slipped, knocked himself out and froze. So, you see, I'm a little sensitive to seeing people taking chances. At least this hobby has a few checks and balances. After all, if the ground is frozen solid, you might die of a heart attack trying to obstinately dig through the ice, :) , but it's not likely. LOL

Just be careful guys!
Aww, I didn't take offence, I really appreciate anyone's concerns, even if they are not meant just for me. Sorry about your friend. I could tell you stories about my younger days, it's a wonder I'm still around to hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back