• 20240825_100025.jpg
    20240825_100025.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 114
  • 20240825_100117.jpg
    20240825_100117.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 90
Upvote 31
WTG on the VT.

Unless it's a rare coin, a good soak in warm soapy water with a toothbrush cleaning is fine, just don't overdo the scrubbing. Then add a touch of Renaissance wax and buff.
Do you think it has enough detail to be worth doing

Its a cool coin but not a rare coin.
It's a free dug coin and it's yours.

I dont usually give suggestions on whether to clean or not to clean but I will say this...water will kill a copper coin.
If it's good enough as a keeper for you then do nothing but it does deserve more attention being a nice early state copper.

If it was mine ..I'd give it soak in hydrogen peroxide to get the outer gunk off...hydrogen peroxide wont disrupt the patina like water will

Let it air dry and then wax it.
Simple and effective

What ever you decide keep us posted on your choice

Its a cool coin but not a rare coin.
It's a free dug coin and it's yours.

I dont usually give suggestions on whether to clean or not to clean but I will say this...water will kill a copper coin.
If it's good enough as a keeper for you then do nothing but it does deserve more attention being a nice early state copper.

If it was mine ..I'd give it soak in hydrogen peroxide to get the outer gunk off...hydrogen peroxide wont disrupt the patina like water will

Let it air dry and then wax it.
Simple and effective

What ever you decide keep us posted on your choice
Thanks

Got out yesterday and got my 1st 1785 vermont landscape copper is it worth having it professionally cleaned? Thanks
It looks like a clipped planchet and with slight shovel kiss! It's a really cool find. Congrats

A great find - congrats !

If it was my coin I'd clean it with "Andre Pencils" and put a light coat of Microcrystalline Wax on it.

Good Luck !
Will the wax bring out more detail as if it looked wet?

Wow! That came out looking pretty good!
How did you end up cleaning it?

Congrats on a great find. I've never come across a Vermont copper, so feeling pretty jealous. Well done!

Wow! That came out looking pretty good!
How did you end up cleaning it?

Congrats on a great find. I've never come across a Vermont copper, so feeling pretty jealous. Well done!
I used peroxide and people will probably cringe but put a little rem oil on it

That's a pretty good restoration job on your coin. It has great details remaining and you can clearly see all the devices despite being dug with little hard corrosion remaining.
You can proudly display it now as it deserves to be.
It's a very low percentage of my dug coppers that I can say are worthy of putting time and effort into restoring their surfaces. So to get a decent one like yours would take many holes to achieve that.
Good job!

That's a pretty good restoration job on your coin. It has great details remaining and you can clearly see all the devices despite being dug with little hard corrosion remaining.
You can proudly display it now as it deserves to be.
It's a very low percentage of my dug coppers that I can say are worthy of putting time and effort into restoring their surfaces. So to get a decent one like yours would take many holes to achieve that.
Good job!
Thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back