Vermont Creek Finds

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
It was a nice sunny day so I decided to walk one of my favorite creeks. It didn't take long before I found a 2 1/2 inch long super thin point. It has flaking and workmanship is like no other point I have ever found here in Vermont. It has a paleo look but no flutes. I also found what appears to be a gouge when I wandered upsteam. It is somewhat concaved on one side. Just as I was leaving I went back to where I found the first point and by luck I rolled over a arcahic ottercreek spearhead that is just under 3 inches long. I also found a small square ceramic thing with a design on it. It felt good to finally find a couple of nice artifacts. I was long over do. Any ID or approximate age the 2 1/2 inch thin point would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 807
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 813
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 789
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 793
  • 027.JPG
    027.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 803
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 796
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 782
Upvote 0
That first pic is of something paleo. IMO-parallel flaking.
Newt

Nice northeast finds. I agree with Newt, and think that piece looks paleo...lance or even Agate Basin considering where you found it.

Very nice finds.
What the heck is that last piece?

i agree, that last pic did the "ghost" pushing my face away from the comp screen and sayin oooooooooooooooo, so ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ne more info?>? :dontknow:

The small square ceramic thing I thought was a large button when I first picked it up out of the water. When I saw the back it changed my mine. It has a crude design on the front which appears to have been baked on when made. The blue reminds me of the blue you see on old crocks that have designs on them. Whatever it is Im thinking it was made in the early to mid 1800s. Here's a pic of the back.

Attachments

• 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 641
Nice finds. On your lanceolate point, Paleo strikes me as far more plausible than a Woodland era Fox Creek. I have a number of Fox Creek points in my collection; none of them are nearly as finely made as your piece is. I agree that the flaking on your piece appears to be Paleo.

artorius

plehbah said:
Is there any basal grinding evident?

It has many Paleo characteristics.

I was wondering the same thing. It has a Paleo look so if there is basal grinding it could be.

Nice finds, no matter what type of point that is.

thanks for clearin that up! post the ceramic thing on "what is it"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back