strycker

Mar 26, 2013
Winchester, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD, White's TDI, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vermont Copper! And a what's it?

Digging today with some friends and using the big NEL coil to cover ground, I got a high faint repeating tone with no numbers again on the VDI. Had to dig it. Down about 9" and the pro pointer gets a lock on it. I thought it was a large cent, then once out, thought it was a KG. Never thought it would be a 1787 Vermont Copper (I think that's the year) in Old VA (WV). Surprised me to find this one. The other might be play money, but just not sure. It's copper and thin. Was clipped when found it. Two neat finds though. HH everyone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 7
Great coin! You do not see those Vermonts often

:occasion14: Even if you live and search Vermont they are a tuff find .. :icon_scratch: likely it's an 1787,, Inde Et Lib on reverse . Roman numeral 25 coin is an interesting maybe it's Roman mystery coin :dontknow:

The spot I picked this out of we've been over a bunch of times. The NEL (15") gave me a little more depth I guess than the stock coil has previously. I know 9" depth isn't much for a copper, but for some reason it didn't show up with the 9x12. It was still faint and not a hard hit with the bigger coil.

The spot I picked this out of we've been over a bunch of times. The NEL (15") gave me a little more depth I guess than the stock coil has previously. I know 9" depth isn't much for a copper, but for some reason it didn't show up with the 9x12. It was still faint and not a hard hit with the bigger coil.
Could've been the way it was sitting or the soil conditions. It's amazing how much difference in depth some of these factors can make

Last edited:
Congrats on getting the Vermont Copper. It looks like a 1787 Ryder 13, which is the BRITANNIA reverse type. A Machin's Mills issue, also goes by the designation VT-87C.

Last edited:
Could've been the way it was sitting or the soil conditions. It's amazing how much difference in depth some of these factors can make

It was flat in the ground, face up. I would think that would ring loud and clear after all those years.

STRYCKER,I found one of those coins in Lovettsville va on private property about a year ago.I remember thinking it was just a cloak button.Did not know what I had until I looked it up.They say its rare to find one.Mine was under the dirt about 3 inches in the way of heavy foot traffic and how it was never found by someone is beyond me.Nice find.Vanzutphen

Very sweet state copper, you got Abe's blood pumping. Glad you saved her!

Very sweet state copper, you got Abe's blood pumping. Glad you saved her!
Yeah where the hell is my state copper? Lol I've found about. 20 old coppers this first 9 months or no state coppers. I'm ready for mine. I hope it's a Vermont like this baby. I never see them posted

Yeah where the hell is my state copper? Lol I've found about. 20 old coppers this first 9 months or no state coppers. I'm ready for mine. I hope it's a Vermont like this baby. I never see them posted

It's funny too because this is considered a "common" coin for the rarity. Common in a sense of?? How many of these were minted? My other question is, why did they use KG on the colonial money they made? This was after 1776 and the Declaration of Independence. Mine, I think the bust looks more comical in nature than the other varieties.

Very nice finds! Congrats!

It's funny too because this is considered a "common" coin for the rarity. Common in a sense of?? How many of these were minted? My other question is, why did they use KG on the colonial money they made? This was after 1776 and the Declaration of Independence. Mine, I think the bust looks more comical in nature than the other varieties.
That may well have to do with it being a Machin's Mills coin. I'm not positive and no little about these but I'm sure maybe Don or somebody else could help us out. I will contact a friend of mine and see if I can't find us an answer

That may well have to do with it being a Machin's Mills coin. I'm not positive and no little about these but I'm sure maybe Don or somebody else could help us out. I will contact a friend of mine and see if I can't find us an answer

Pretty big odds against that. :) Looks nothing like them, appears cast not struck, and more of an into the 1800s look to me. Also seems to be a medal or a token of some type. Cool find but I can't imagine it's anything significant.

Pretty big odds against that. :) Looks nothing like them, appears cast not struck, and more of an into the 1800s look to me. Also seems to be a medal or a token of some type. Cool find but I can't imagine it's anything significant.
And there he is. :-) thanks man

Are you talking about the Machin's Mill coin or the other thingy that is pictured? I'm guessing you mean the play money / fashion jewelry piece.

I was actually talking about the bust on the VT copper being a more comical nature than the other half-pence versions. This seems to be an attribute only to the Machin's Mill struck coinage.

Last edited:
Really nice Vt. Great detail. Hogge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back