Varigated Jasper Plummet

spot

Sep 20, 2008
NW Louisiana
This is the only plummet I have ever seen made from a red variegated jasper. The workmanship is fine and the entire piece is glassy smooth. Even though you can see minor fracture lines in the stone, you can't feel them. The drilling is incredible with the hole edges still very sharp. There is heavy patination on this piece. It was recovered from a Poverty Point era site in North Louisiana many years ago. Those people have quite the reputation as a community that excelled in lapidary work and some of that story can be seen in this piece.

This is a fairly unusual artifact based primarily on material and secondarily on workmanship.

Thanks for looking,

spot

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 381
  • P1010068.JPG
    P1010068.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 382
  • P1010069.JPG
    P1010069.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 383
Upvote 0
Is the 3rd photo of something different as I don't see the hole? Or does the hole not go all the way through?

cubfan...optical illusion... look careful at the edge of the bead ....see the hole?

pippinwhitepaws said:
cubfan...optical illusion... look careful at the edge of the bead ....see the hole?

Ahhhhhh - got it!!! You're right that my mind was screwing with me - for some reason looking at the first two pics my brain was telling me that I was looking at the "fat" part of the item. It didn't register that it would be the same shape all the way around although "duh," a plummet would generally look like that.

Thanks for clarifying PWP.

If it's really authentic, it's a beautiful piece - love the colors

plehbah said:
Forget the "G10" junk.....

That exhibits the workmanship of a master craftsman, with distinctiveness on account of the skill, technical proficience, and overall outstanding aesthetic qualities.

Meeting criteria like that will get you on the NRHP. I am not suggesting you raise a stink about it, but you are justified in appreciating it as a fine artifact, and a truly timeless testament to the person whom created it.
what the h*ll are you talking about? Because he has a nice piece, the Govt is going to take his land?

Montana Jim said:
Would that have been a net weight? Or...??

I am Indian relic-tarded, forgive me.

It's gorgeous!
No one really knows what they were used for, but there already are net weights and nowhere near that much care went into making them.

Spot, thats unusual, never seen a Jasper plummet before.
Thankyou for showing us.

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back