USM eagle button

groundswiper

Dec 14, 2012
Hello all, found this button in Maine, I can't figure out if it is military or not. Any help would be appreciated. It is an eagle holding a flag in each talon,13 stars around the edge,and USM under the eagle. the back is very fragile and corroded, on the left side are the letters"____on Co" and on the other side are the letters "____& HAVRE" at least i think that's what they are :icon_scratch: Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting

Attachments

• eagle flags.JPG
    eagle flags.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 117
  • eagle button back.JPG
    eagle button back.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 104
  • eagle button back2.jpg
    eagle button back2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 121
It defiantly a military button looks to be civil war or later someone will come along and id it for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm wondering if it might say "Le HAVRE" (in France), with an L instead of &, and the E in Le being a small capital E.

Upvote 0
I would take a look at colleges/universities/military academies. When I Yahoo search USM, one of the hits I get is University of Southern Maine who uses USM as their designator.

Looking through Albert's button book, I'm not seeing any US military buttons with that design.

Upvote 0
The style and two piece design keeps me thinking civ war era. I hope it is. It's a good find.

Upvote 0
You also might consider contacting Daniel Binder (word search internet) he is quite an authority on buttons and may be able to help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back