USAF Siiver Wings

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found one of these today- US Vintage Sterling Silver Pilot Wings Pin Badge | eBay -- was wondering the vintage. no pin on back, 3" in length. This ©1810 farm house is next to the site I dug a 1724 reale and 1796 large cent a few years ago, which sits in an Seneca village that Sullivan took out in 1779. Not much yet in the first 6" of soil-- going deeper next time out, and smaller steps. da Prof

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The one's you linked to I believe are WWII era, but are Army Air Forces, rather than Air Force (as noted above). However, they are not pilot's wings, but air crew wings (air crew badge). The Air Force made only minor changes when it "took" this design in 1947, so without seeing yours its impossible to say for sure when they date to.

Upvote 0
thanks for the correction on the E-bay post- that was the best research I could do. My cameramanship does not work that well. What is pictured in the link is EXACTLY like the one I have. and as stated the length is 3''. I am hoping to date the layers of dirt, as there will be colonial artifacts down deep. I did come up with a large pewter spoon and a few iron ones. Next step in the wing dept. is to see if a family member was enlisted in that service. thank you for the info, as soon as I have a confirmed date on item, I'll post as solved-♬♬

Upvote 0
thank you, Lafitte Deux- it is made by N.S. Meyer! I didn't find the exact sterling marking, but close enough.- I'm trying to post pix from my mac-best I can do, sorry. Photo on 2013-01-14 at 19.26 #2.jpgPhoto on 2013-01-14 at 19.27.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back