US Marked Base Minie Ball

vadigger89

Feb 8, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have been relic hunting for about alittle over two years now and this is the only US marked base bullet that I have dug. This is actually the only US based bullet I have seen, I am having a hard time finding out anything about the bullet. I am curious as to how rare the US stamped bullets are compared to a regular minie ball. And also how rare are the washington star base bullets I found quite a few of them in the field that a dug the pictured US base.

Attachments

• FxCam_1329854281754.jpg
    FxCam_1329854281754.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 766
Upvote 0
Not sure of the rarity scale but up here in Md. I've found at least 3 doz. Star based and not a one US based.So I would say pretty rare.Maybe someone else will chime in.

The US base bullet aren't that common. They were made at the Springfield Arsenal. The star base bullets are much more common and are found all around Antietam. They are from the Washington Arsenal and there are several different variants.

The US & Star base bullets are found at Antietam together. However if you are digging the Gettysburg retreat route and you dig US bullets you will probably also be digging the Gardiner Explosive bullets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back