US Civil War Militia 13 Star Wreath...in Nova Scotia ?

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Less than half of the buckle, but I thought pretty darn cool just the same.

This was sitting in my sifter where I dump my pouch, from the last hunt or maybe two ? I didn't recognize it for what it was being very dirty bent, and rough I thought it just an old washer, machine part etc. I picked it up yesterday, and noticed it had "bumps" on it so I brushed it off to see the bumps were in fact stars, 13 of them. The light went on, and I figured it could well be a broken tongue, (or spoon) and wreath buckle. A few minutes on the web I found out it is an "early Militia" buckle. circa 1861 ?

I am assuming that it may be quite rare as 1) I don't recall seeing one posted, and 2) the only info I can seem to find online comes from reproduction sites.

Any info you all can give would be appreciated.

My buckle piece.

IMG_1973.JPG

And a pic from one of the repo sites.

8151164_orig.jpg

This is the site I got the pic from
Early Militia Buckles and Plates - Hanover Brass Foundry Reproduction Military Belt Plates
It's a little over half way down the page on the right had side. All they say about it is about is what I said "early militia two piece circa 1861"

So am I right is it a rare piece ?

Thanks,
Rick...waiting for cooler weather.

Last edited:
Upvote 18
Heck yeah that's a cool find! Even better finding it in eastern Canada. How the hell did that get there?

I've never seen one like that either. I guess it makes the site it came from a little more interesting and worth hitting again.

Nice job Rick

That's a cool find Rick...would have been infinitely cooler to find the other piece but we take what we get. Any plans to try to find the other half?

That sure is something different in our parts, a surprise, but not a shocker. Ironhorse found a CW U.S. box plate several years back. Sure would have been great if intact.

Last edited:
Heck yeah that's a cool find! Even better finding it in eastern Canada. How the hell did that get there?

I've never seen one like that either. I guess it makes the site it came from a little more interesting and worth hitting again.

Nice job Rick

People travel ?

That's a cool find Rick...would have been infinitely cooler to find the other piece but we take what we get. Any plans to try to find the other half?

Pretty sure it came from one of two places, so yes I will give it try. Would be nice to get the other half, as this makes the second wreath half I got.
Supposed to get a couple of days of rain which should soften the ground a lot, and mayybe clear the air a bit.

That one hell of a unique piece Rick, I don't recollect seeing one posted here. Although I could be wrong. There's a lot of experts here, so I'm sure you will get some info. Congrats buddy, hope you find the mate

That sure is something different in our parts, a surprise, but not a shocker. Ironhorse found a CW U.S. box plate several years back. Sure would have been great if intact.

I remember seeing that one Great find.
Yeah I wish it would have been all complete.

Looks like the real deal to me, as we always say on here get back out there and dig the rest :laughing7:

Thanks, and I might as well laugh too as I doubt very much the other half will ever be found.

People travel ?

Indeed they do, and thank goodness. Keeps the dig possibilities interesting. Although I wish I knew the story of several pieces I have found. I'm sure that wreath could tell a story or two as well.

thats cool. could it have been army surplus a being sold after the war? And thats how it ended up in canada ? just a thought. either way who cares thats really cool.

That is awesome. I have never seen one with stars like that before. The tongue is out there somewhere. They would have been useless without the wreath

Thanks for posting that is an amazing piece of history. Find the middle piece that would be even more impressive.!!!e

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back