✅ SOLVED US Button Help Please!! Possible Civil War??

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the Civil War Camp today with OhioWhiteGuy not much to be found, but not far from where I found the 1869 2 cent piece, I found this
US Button, Not sure on the age or what it could be off of. Any Help would be Great, Thanks RCH.

It is 1 1/4 inch in Diameter

Maybe off something leather, saddlebag, boot or??
US Button-B.jpgUS Button-F.jpg

Those are bridal rosettes. They are from the 1890s to about 1915. I am just guessing at the dates. I know they are post civil war.

Upvote 0
I figured it was off horse equipment, just wasn't sure on an age. Thanks
That link you gave OWG lists them as Civil War I was thinking WW1??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
actually, it isn't a rosette .. It is a harness strap accoutrement

Upvote 0
Pretty sure that is post war

Yeah one site says one thing another site says another thing, I'll take it either way, still pretty cool. Thanks RCH

Upvote 0
As is so often the case, the Ebay seller is WRONG. This type, which has a "vertical rim" and tabs on the edge of the rim for attaching to the leather horsegear is Spanish-American War era (1890s) to World War One era and later.

The civil war version is MUCH thinner, lacks a "vertical rim," and has a lead-solder filled back.

By the way, note that the Civil War In Tennessee website does not actually say the bridle in their photos is a civil war one. It just says "US Army bridle."

And as is also so often the case, Creskol is correct. :) It is an "accouterment," not a rosette (which has a bar on the back for leather straps to pass through).

The photos below show the SpanAm-War-and-later version, on original leather.

Attachments

• horsegear_US_accouterment-rosette_three-tabs_on-harness-with-reinguides_view1_Ebay.jpg
    horsegear_US_accouterment-rosette_three-tabs_on-harness-with-reinguides_view1_Ebay.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 327
  • horsegear_US_accouterment-rosette_three-tabs_on-harness-with-reinguides_view5_Ebay_403259959.jpg
    horsegear_US_accouterment-rosette_three-tabs_on-harness-with-reinguides_view5_Ebay_403259959.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
Thanks again, like I said I'll take it either way. RCH

Upvote 0
I found something that looks just like that but your appears to be hollow. What I found is a solid metal 1 1/4 " 22 grams. It has 4 pieces of metal fixed to the back. I found it in the dirt at Fort Grant,AZ . Now a state prison but is same *location of Historical Fort Grant.

bp1.jpgbp2.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
azannah11,

Your find appears to have the "US" lettering style consistent with the mid 1800's.

While the item may appear to be solid metal of one piece and quite heavy, the construction is I believe of a thin rolled sheet brass shell, stamped with the design, then filled with molten lead solder around the wire attachments. This is the type of device described by TheCannonballGuy in his second paragraph above, and listed as Civil War era.

Nice Find! :icon_thumright:

CC Hunter

Upvote 0
i just found one of these yesterday in a hay field near a large military base with a cavalry unit. Very exciting!Picture0009.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back