Urca Jars

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's been lots of discussion here regarding the Wedge Wreck, whether it is the Urca de Lima, if it is a 1715 wreck, and so forth. Tommy Gore has this jar/jug from the Wedge Wreck, and he gave me some shots of it (excuse the imagery... poor paper prints on my dirty scanner window, but you get the idea).

This may be one of the very few intact jars from the Wedge Wreck if not the ONLY intact jar from that boat.

Folks in Fort Pierce knew about that wreck early on... it was known to the fishermen long, long ago, certainly a commonly known wreckpile way before WWII. Herman Summerlin actually pulled this jug up in his nets and dropped it on his deck shaking it out which broke it. Fortunately, he kept all the pieces and it has been restored. The Summerlin name is one found throughout the annals of marine history along the East Coast of Florida.

Just thought you would get a kick out of seeing such a thing, since you won't see it in any museum.

Attachments

• urcajug1.gif
    urcajug1.gif
    172 KB · Views: 487
  • urcajug2.gif
    urcajug2.gif
    320.4 KB · Views: 482
a thing of beauty! thanks for sharing! ;D b

Great pictures Terry.

It would be nice to see some photos of some of the comglomerates of uncut emeralds that supposedly came off the wedge wreck back in the early 80's.

First I've of THAT!! Yep, I would love to see such. Who supposedly found them?

In 1983 Frank Allen's group found a large conglomerate that yielded 43 uncut emeralds.
The following year, they found a pile of conglomerates...and thus begins the trash can story of the unlocked garage!
(They were stored in cans until the conglomerates were cleaned and broke open).

Laura

Weller mentiones these emeralds in his book, Sunken Treasure on Florida Reefs. Frank Allen had an admiralty on the site and recovered 43 uncut emeralds and Jim Hendricks of Titan Ocean Sytems recovered a bunch of conglomerates that produced over 3000 uncut emeralds.

Tom

Sorry Lau, you were typing and posting as I was typing and posting.

No prob Tom...
I was just admiring the picture of the jar.
May I ask if Tommy Gore still has this in his possession? I'd love to see the artifact in person.
Do you think he could charge admission for viewing? I'd pay for admittance!

Yes, he still has it and is thinking of selling it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back