UPDATED WITH PHOTOS More CW buttons but i have to complain

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATED WITH PHOTOS More CW buttons but i have to complain

Well, had a good day. Last week saw me find several precivil war buttons and bullets, not mention my first Spanish reale. Well I was hoping to keep it up. I did find three cuff buttons: 1 artillery eagle, 1 eagle over US flat, and a ??? button probably another eagle. With that said, the reason I'm posting is when I got to this well known spot, I was sick. >:( Yes other people had been there, that doesn't bother me. BUT I COULD TELL EVERY WHERE, EVERY HOLE THEY DUG. These mongrels left every hole wide open. I mean dang it, I know it's not someone's yard, but it is public land, and I, at some time or another, have paid taxes for the upkeep or purchase of that land. I know I'm not alone here when I say, even if I'm 20 miles off the road in the middle of the wilderness, I STILL FILL MY HOLES! Why is that concept so hard for these freakin cavemen to comprehend. :icon_scratch: It makes me want to show them the working end of my shovel.
Well after filling about 20 of their holes I gave up. The irony in all this is, I found 2 of the buttons in these uncovered holes. I know how inept they were to leave the holes, but to leave buttons. :laughing9:
I guess stupid is, as stupid does. Gonehunting
UPDATED: The first pic is all found that day. On the top is a what I think is the bottom part of a scabbard. It still has traces of material or leather on the inside. The second pic is a US great coat button. The front is kinda corroded but the interesting part is the thread is still in the eyelet. The third pic is what I was told was a Tranter? VaYank54 help. and the 4th pic is my first Artillery button. These are all cuff size buttons. sorry it took so long to post these pics button I don't have access to a computer just my cell phone and I can't post pics with it.

Attachments

• 0425001955.jpg
    0425001955.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 241
  • 0425002112.jpg
    0425002112.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 242
  • 0425002152.jpg
    0425002152.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 251
  • 0425002201.jpg
    0425002201.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 240
Upvote 0
Re: More CW buttons but i have to complain

Good post! Maybe the lunkheads will see this. But then again, maybe not. Perhaps this post will be read by a detecting newbie who had no idea they were supposed to fill their holes.
Kudos for doing their dirty work and congrats for finding what they left behind.

Its not like your digging a trench it dont take much to use your boot to push the dirt back in a 6 inch hole, jerks ! i found the same thing here at a CW era camp site next time i went there holes everywhere >:( i scanned every hole and found 2 lead balls :laughing7: Dd60

Those are probably people who buy a $30 Radio Shack machine and think they are seasoned hunters. I am sure we all have had this experience and it is very frustrating. Congrats on the buttons they left behind. Goes to show they did not recheck their holes. At least you got rewarded by filling in their holes.

I feel the same way you do. I have started a few folks detecting and have already lost one spot that I have hunted now for over 2 years. I don't understand why people can't cover there holes back up. This spot was city property and held alot of nice old relics. Not so much money, but just old relics. Oh well I guess I will keep my places to myself and not share from here on out. :thumbsup:

You did your good deed for the day by covering the holes. Idiots like that are the reason people won't let MD on their land. Congrats on the buttons.

well clearly they where looking for silver or coins most likely -- not buttons -- ding dongs did not know those "buttons" have value , I bet ( clearly history and knowledge are not their "strong suits") -- shame you had to "cover up" their dirty work --but hey it paid off with 2 buttons -- what type of buttons were they ?

congrats on the button. Yeah people leaving holes open makes me mad too. I left a post on facebook a while back how I would like to beat the living dog snot out of them. It's not just newbies either there are some who have been digging for years but just don't care.

ivan salis said:
well clearly they where looking for silver or coins most likely -- not buttons -- ding dongs did not know those "buttons" have value , I bet ( clearly history and knowledge are not their "strong suits") -- shame you had to "cover up" their dirty work --but hey it paid off with 2 buttons -- what type of buttons were they ?
all were cuff buttons. one precivil war eagle over US greatcoat button. One civil war A shield eagle. The third was possibly the same. Funny thing is the reale i found last sat. Was less than 100 yrds from were these wer found. I had came from a different direction and no clue anyone had ever dug around there, until i got closer to the road. but since i covered my holes they will probably never find that location. Lol I'm really hoping they read this. :laughing9:

Yep,seeing that more and more,and that hurts us all.I do not know how someone could possibly feel all right doing that or think its O.K.,guess I never will figure that out.I do know I would like to catch them! >:(

There might be a good explanation to this.
Armadillos! They came in behind me at a plantation I'm currently hunting. Every hole I had dug was opened back up the next morning. :dontknow:
Newt

Newt said:
There might be a good explanation to this.
Armadillos! They came in behind me at a plantation I'm currently hunting. Every hole I had dug was opened back up the next morning. :dontknow:
Newt
there were shoe prints in the holes... I wouldn't think armadillos would do all of this damage. I've seen what they can do to a field but this is definitely the two legged kind.. >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back