Updated--more old coin & other finds/1700s house

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Updated--more old coin & other finds/1700s house

Great day today. I got permission to hunt an histroic homesite near the Hudson River. Was fired up to hear the homeowner tell me he had found a small sized cannonball sticking out of the ground many years ago (they've owned the place more than 20 years). Then was a little bummed when he told me another guy had been there years ago with a detector looking for buttons. I don't want to mention the details because it's not fair to them if people start showing up at their house, but during the Revolutionary War this house was home to an historic figure in U.S. history everyone would recognize.

So, I start looking, find a clad dime and penny, some junk and then get a good copper signal and dig and about 5-6 inches find this! (My camera takes crap pictures, so it would just look like a dark disc, but checking the words and bust on the Internet, it looks like the first photo at this link below. Across the left edge of the bust on front it says "Auctori." and on right side of bust along edge it says "Connec." -- for Connecticut, of course. No date can be read where it should be on back, but it says INDE and ET LIB along the edges.)
http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/CT-Copper87-2.html

I also found a buckle I will try to post a photo soon. He also shows me where there's not only a round well you can see down to the bottom with channels going out from it underground, but there are two large underground rooms he discovered after buying the property. He showed me where he had covered them so nobody would fall in and there's a ladder going down. I have to bring a flashlight and he'll let me go down there, but he said it has a stone floor (too bad) and an arched ceiling. Lots of more cool hunting there I am sure.

Upvote 0
Re: 1700s Copper Coin! + buckle

That site sounds like it would be fun just to explore, even if you didn't find anything.

Congrats Bergie ! Looks like you found a great spot to dig up some history ! Keep us posted.

Huntin' 59er

Oh my gosh Bergie!!!
You have found something that I could only dream about finding!!!! Way ta go!!!!

Congratulations on such a really great find!!

Nana ;)

(I know you are still smiling about that one!) ;D

Bergermiester strikes again....Another quality hunt! As always, thanks for sharing~CO2

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Beautiful find!!! What a great place to hunt!! That's just the kind of place i have dreams about detecting. Well...minus the little pink elephants in their bikinis. Good luck on your hunts there. And hope you find something that we'll be reading about in the news. HH

Cool site and nice find! HH, Mike

Updated--more coin & other finds at 1700s house

Went back to this 1700s house with Submerged a couple of days ago. I haven't seen him post the finds yet, so figured I'd update you. I think he will post them when he gets his camera back. Near where I found the Connecticut copper coin, he found an 1857 'flying eagle' penny in very nice shape and he found a button that says "Strong" (and something else)" and has stars on the back and an eagle on the back of the button right in the middle of where the loop comes out the back. The front looks either inlaid with something like pearl or it's just silver/white colored. Any ideas on this, let us know. There were a lot of troops in this area and senior military during the Rev. War if that helps. He also found a few different buckles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back