UPDATE WITH AERIAL PHOTO:Is this a well?

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Today my son and I went down to my favorite 200 year old brick kiln site to mainly pick blackberries and of course to MD a bit. As I was working one of the thinner piles of broken bricks I got a significant signal over a wide area. I had to dig down through a foot of the broken brick material as well as clay to reveal what I believe to be either a well head or rounded brick foundation. The strange thing is that there is a square 3/4" thick iron plate in the middle of it.

normal_wellstructure1_sm.jpg

normal_wellstructure1_notated.jpg

normal_wellstructurefromabove2_sm.jpg

normal_wellstructure2_sm.jpg

We ran out of time this afternoon to fully excavate the surrounding area but as you can imagine, I anxious to figure out what's below the iron plate.

This site consists of mostly broken bits of very old bricks leftover from when the Confederates blew up the brickyard when they evacuated the area in 1862. I have previously found an old pocket watch at the site as well as several old bottles. No coins or buttons yet but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Your opinions of what this structure may be are appreciated.

Thanks,

Pcolaboy

Upvote 0
Re: Is this a well?

nope its a well---can be slow at times.---like in fla myself nassau county

You posted this in the CORRECT area, but at this time of night, only a few are around. I am on the West Coast, and it is after midnight here, so you will probably get some answers posted here tomorrow. In the meantime WHEN are you going back??? You ARE taking a crowbar with you, I hope?

:o How cool & mysterious is that area! :o

I am intrigued by the bit of history you already know of the area & now this :o

I am too am eager for when you get the chance to go back & explore a bit more & really hopeful you will be posting details ;D

Bogart :D

Well or a cistern. Since it's been capped and covered I would think nobodys been in it. When was there activity at the site? Digging privys, cisterns, and wells is a ton of work and you want to be sure that the reward is going to be worth the work (and risk...ie don't take the kiddies when you dig it and bring along someone with some privy digging experience because it can be dangerous)

Thanks for the replies folks. Sorry for getting antsy so quickly but I was anxious to get some ideas before I head back this afternoon. This hobby is starting to erode into my career just a bit since i will also be taking the morning off to dive on a ballast pile I found in the bay last week :-).

Currently this land is sort of in ownership limbo. The county says that the land is owned by the railroad, and the railroad says the property is public domain right-of-way because it borders the bay. I don't know who to believe but generations of area residents including my family have been going down to this site and others probably since the turn of the century (20th). From all the evidence I can obtain, this operation was halted completely in 1862 while a more modern, steam-powered brick kiln was built about a mile further down the bay and operated until the 1950's.

Thanks again for your responses.

Pcolaboy

Its not a well for several reasons. 1st lol, would you drink that water? 2nd that gives it away is that it goes in at an angle wells are level. My experience and know how tell me its a Brick Oven used for making bricks or even a place to cool the bricks. Cool find, worth hunting!

Keep @ it and HH!!

VERY INTRESTING, NOT SURE WHAT IT IS, BUT WELL WORTH CONTINUING....

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Its not a well for several reasons. 1st lol, would you drink that water? 2nd that gives it away is that it goes in at an angle wells are level. My experience and know how tell me its a Brick Oven used for making bricks or even a place to cool the bricks. Cool find, worth hunting!

Keep @ it and HH!!

Not doubting anything you're saying here MUD. Just needed to point out something. The actual plate and round set bricks ARE level. The photos I took are probably misleading since the surrounding pile that this structure rests under is actually on an incline. Secondly, I poured water over the structure in an attempt to clean off the bricks and the water did not want to run off in any specific direction and I had to wipe the water and debris off by hand.

Hope to know more about this by this afternoon or tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Pcolaboy

WELL..thats cool.....keep us posted

What makes me assume its an oven is the fact that its seems to be carved into the side of a hill. Its design is just that of an oven, stove or something like I guessed. Maybe it was a washing pit or campfire pit? Just guessing here but I don't think its a well, who knows?

Keep @ it and HH!

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
What makes me assume its an oven is the fact that its seems to be carved into the side of a hill. Its design is just that of an oven, stove or something like I guessed. Maybe it was a washing pit or campfire pit? Just guessing here but I don't think its a well, who knows?

Keep @ it and HH!

I can definitely see what you're talking about. The natural terrain here is nearly completely flat. The actual terrain however is far from that due to the enormous mounds of broken brick. You honestly cannot step anywhere on this 2+ acre site without stepping on or over a brick. Most of the broken brick is widely believed to be the "stock" at the mill at the time when the Confederates blew the place in 1862. There are also areas where there are obvious large panels of brick with motar presumably from the facility itself. This well or whatever it is approximately 100 yards onshore from the edge of the water where the remains of a rock and brick wharf reside. Here is a shot from Google Earth:

normal_kilnsite.jpg

navarrone said:
Pirated treasure? get the cap off i'm curious. :o

I should point out that I have been able to reach under the plate from the lower end so it does not seem to be part of a container. I'm heading to Disney World with wife and kids tomorrow so it will next week before I get to do anything else at the site :-\

Pcolaboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back