Unusual numbers on an early 1900s bottle...What does it mean?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Unusual numbers on an early 1900's bottle...What does it mean?

Hey guys! Well I got this back in august and just noticed that it has marking on the very bottom. How I discovered this bottle was in a ghost town but it came up in the same hole as a really old light bulb socket. Please help me with identifying these numbers.

Numbers are: 3F 11 81

I think it means march, 11th on friday 1881?

It maybe when the pills expired in the bottle or when it was made. Not really sure. This is not an ordinary medicine bottle like the ones we have today. This is from early 1900's.

Heres the original post (Note the pictures in the original post are blurry:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,172312.msg1256554.html#msg1256554

Heres the pictures of the bottom of the bottle:

IMG_0418.jpg

Re: Unusual numbers on an early 1900's bottle...What does it mean?

Detectingfreak said:
Numbers are: 3F 11 81

I think it means march, 11th on friday 1881?

It maybe when the pills expired in the bottle or when it was made. Not really sure. This is not an ordinary medicine bottle like the ones we have today. This is from early 1900's.

Heres the original post (Note the pictures in the original post are blurry:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,172312.msg1256554.html#msg1256554

Heres the pictures of the bottom of the bottle:
Its not that old. If it was it would be cork top. It looks like a screw top 50's-60's aspirin bottle. Hard to tell the pics are blurred. I have one like it somewhere. I keep little screws in mine.

The letters on the bottom are from the glass manufacturer. Im not sure what they mean.

Attachments

• bottle detecting freak.jpg
    bottle detecting freak.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 374
Upvote 0

The letters/numbers under this bottle just are the manufacturers code for the bottle, not the contents..

Upvote 0

woody50 said:
The letters/numbers under this bottle just are the manufacturers code for the bottle, not the contents..
I agree. ...and not a date either. Just a code identifying the glass bottle manufacturer and the bottle shape. I used to have a good link for the codes but dont remember it. :icon_scratch:

ADDED: here is a good link. http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html#ABCDEF

maybe Fairmount 1930's....I think 50's, but maybe :-\
F.....................Fairmount Glass Works/Company, Fairmount, IN (1889-1906) & Indianapolis, IN (c.1906-1968). I am unsure on the dates of this mark, but perhaps from about 1920 to 1933. See "F.G.W." mark also. Certain bottles (such as hand-blown strap-side flasks) with an "F" on the base which appear to be of an earlier vintage might have been produced by another, hitherto unidentified glassworks

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back