Unusual bike part (I think)

Bama Billy

Apr 2, 2018
Central Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I’m in south Alabama digging at my mother in laws house. I’ve done a tone of coins, mostly wheats, and came across this guy. I googled it and found out the company made the first true coaster brake for bicycles. The problem I’m having is that the main bolt hole has glass in it. Also there’s a smaller hole and it also has glass in it. Confusing because all the pictures I can find of one show a bolt going through it. Anybody have a guess? 7EA35D6F-EEF5-4D86-8657-B16D3A913FC2.jpeg

The glass doesn’t belong in there, as you’re right about being a bike part. Hub arm:

Attachments

• DF682A7E-2450-4BFB-A914-AB8D87517B20.jpeg
    DF682A7E-2450-4BFB-A914-AB8D87517B20.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 0
The glass doesn’t belong in there, as you’re right about being a bike part. Hub arm:

Right that’s what’s confusing me. The smaller of the two holes is tiny, I don’t think glass got genre by accident. Also, the larger hole with glass, I can’t remove the glass. They both are in there so well its hard to believe they are random pieces of glass that got that got stuck there.

Upvote 0
Ben is right it doesn't belong.
Think about how many times it got kicked, step on, ran over, and if your in the hills, years of frost wedging.
The last one "Frost Wedging" I believe is how half the conical coins come to be.
It could easily compress glass into such a small area.

Upvote 0
Ben is right it doesn't belong.
Think about how many times it got kicked, step on, ran over, and if your in the hills, years of frost wedging.
The last one "Frost Wedging" I believe is how half the conical coins come to be.
It could easily compress glass into such a small area.
I’m not disagreeing, I’ve never heard of frost wedging but this is south Alabama, not a lot of frost down here. The hole is TINY and the glass doesn’t look broken or fragmented, it looks like it was meant to go there. Again, not saying it didn’t get mashed in there somehow but looking at it with your eyes, it’s hard to see how.

Upvote 0
Melted glass is a possibility.

Garage fire ... barn fire ... ?
Trash pit burning ?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back