Unlock this mystery

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
I've spent a couple hours looking at antique keys/locks on the net but can't find anything remotely like this one. Does anyone have a clue as to what it fits? It is a brass barrel key with a slot to apparently fit over a keyed shaft, and also has three lobes to engage three different mechanisms. It came from a site dates back to late 1700's. Thanks for any assistance. HH

Attachments

• DSCN3154.jpg
    DSCN3154.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 869
I've done the same thing and searched for every type of hollow key I could find, and none even remotely resemble this object.

It looks more like a twist lock type of fitting. Insert this tube into a hole or matching tube, and twist to lock in place.

Hopefully someone else can lead us on the right path.

Upvote 0
B|lker said:
Maybe a jewelry box key?

That was my first hunch- strongbox/jewelry box. Another one is a key for slave shackles. The clock key crossed my mind too, but the handle doesn't seem to be designed for cranking. Seems like a half a turn would be about it. Thanks for all the input. HH!

Upvote 0
First I have to say I don't have a clue as to what it is, but I can also say that I don't think it has anything to do with locks or keys. I have been in the locksmith trade for about 25 years. Nothing like that has ever passed in front of me. Of course I could be wrong about it not being lock related, no one is perfect.

TimC

Upvote 0
You could very well be right Tim. I had another experienced locksmith say he'd never seen anything like it either. Just don't know. Here's a pic of the other side showing the third lobe.

Attachments

• DSCN3155.jpg
    DSCN3155.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 743
Upvote 0
You don't mention if its solid (my guess) or hollow?

Upvote 0
If that is brass its been aging for a very long time.....That would fit in your 1700's guess....As for it being a key to a lock, it seem a little large for a traditional lock and without a tab on the end to turn it easily just does not point to a lock key. It may be a gas light key for around the turn of the century...you would not want gas lights in a public area where just anyone can adjust the flame {IE hotels, schools, businesses, etc.}

Upvote 0
BIG61AL said:
If that is brass its been aging for a very long time.....That would fit in your 1700's guess....As for it being a key to a lock, it seem a little large for a traditional lock and without a tab on the end to turn it easily just does not point to a lock key. It may be a gas light key for around the turn of the century...you would not want gas lights in a public area where just anyone can adjust the flame {IE hotels, schools, businesses, etc.}
I agree with this, some sort of 'key' for adjusting something in a public area sound just good...

Upvote 0
looks more like some thing slid into the slot and a item then locked over it, most likely a handle. You may need to look in the slot and see if a pin went through it at one time. some sort of caliper, divider, or possible compass.

Upvote 0
lostcauses said:
looks more like some thing slid into the slot and a item then locked over it, most likely a handle. You may need to look in the slot and see if a pin went through it at one time. some sort of caliper, divider, or possible compass.

That was my first thought.

Upvote 0
Here's a couple closeups of the business end. Sorry for the poor quality, but it's overcast here today.

Upon closer inspection, it appears that the "key" may have been grooved instead of slotted, and the weaker brass in the bottom of the groove got worn or broked away, creating a partial slot.

This was a 8-9 inches deep in a soybean field about 20 miles from the nearest town that would have had gaslights. I'm not grasping the drafting tool handle. Does someone have a pic of something similar?

I appreciate all the help. Thanks and HH. Kevin

Attachments

• DSCN3184.jpg
    DSCN3184.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCN3182.jpg
    DSCN3182.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 300
Upvote 0
mxtswinger said:
Here's a couple closeups of the business end. Sorry for the poor quality, but it's overcast here today.

Upon closer inspection, it appears that the "key" may have been grooved instead of slotted, and the weaker brass in the bottom of the groove got worn or broked away, creating a partial slot.

This was a 8-9 inches deep in a soybean field about 20 miles from the nearest town that would have had gaslights. I'm not grasping the drafting tool handle. Does someone have a pic of something similar?

I appreciate all the help. Thanks and HH. Kevin
So the end is hollow. Well it does appear to me to be a key, but like we mentioned not really for a lock, but for somesort of device or something. But we can't rule out a lock either....

Upvote 0
La Beep said:
Chinese Lock Key
Do you mean a sort of type of lock like these?

Attachments

• chinese_locks_5_resize.jpg
    chinese_locks_5_resize.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 252
  • chinese_locks_4_resize_resize.jpg
    chinese_locks_4_resize_resize.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 217
  • chinese_locks_3_resize.jpg
    chinese_locks_3_resize.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 275
  • chinese_locks_2_resize.jpg
    chinese_locks_2_resize.jpg