Robbenham

May 15, 2012
Fitchburg, Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this pendent last year in a farm field in Mass. It is about the size of a nickle. I can see the spot were the loop broke off from the top. The reverse has a picture of a building with the phrase "Old Catherdral" across the top. I took it to a antique jewler in Boston who looked at it. All he could say was that it was most likely made around 1880's with a tungsten die. P5150102.JPG

Better pics of both sides would help a lot..

Upvote 0
P5160131.JPGP5160113.JPGP5160112.JPG
I found this pendent last year in a farm field in Mass. It is about the size of a nickle. I can see the spot were the loop broke off from the top. The reverse has a picture of a building with the phrase "Old Catherdral" across the top. I took it to a antique jewler in Boston who looked at it. All he could say was that it was most likely made around 1880's with a tungsten die. View attachment 636068

Upvote 0
over the building in the scratch it says "Old Catherdral" I hope these photo's are better. I am still learning with this new Hi-Tech (over complicated) camera. Also there is no makers mark that I can find

Upvote 0
Possibly the old Cathedral of the Holy Cross in Boston? Last mass there was 1860. It was sold for use as a warehouse after that.

holycross.jpg

It's anyone's guess as to why "Buckwheat" is on the other side. buckwheat.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0
It' not buckwheat. Just a resemblance. As to why it's on the pendant, I don't know. Here is a spoon depicting the same image- Jacksonville Florida Black Americana Sterling Souvenir Spoon (Miscellaneous) at Gator Trading Co. Antiques and Collectibles it's copyrighted so I can't post it.

I know it is not Buckwheat. Sorry for my attempt at humor.

Do a Google search on "johnny griffin" "black boy". The image is from a mid 19th C painting but was widely reproduced and popular in the 1920's.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Additional info:

The bell tower, NOT shown on the pendant, was built in 1888. So the item could be a little older than 1920's.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip aboput the spoon and Florida. With that I think I found it as a piece of a Shiebler braclet. The company first made spoons than made fine silver souvenir items. It was in business from 1876-1910.

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
Matt- Thanks for putting a name to that face. I knew i'd seen it before more than once but I just couldn't place it. I thought the buckwheat reference was pretty funny, I just thought you were serious.:laughing7:

Montauk- I was looking at the Cathedral in St. Augustine earlier but the bell tower photos kept throwing me off, good research.:thumbsup:

Green check time!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back