Unknown object. Found at old site.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I included a few other items found in the same area of this site. Some silverware and two fired bullets (Revolutionary war era I think) It's way too flimsy to be a buckle. Someone I know suggested it may be a very small picture frame for a picture that you may carry in a case in you pocket. Other than this idea, I have no clue what this may be. Quarter included for size comparison.

Attachments

• IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_0540.JPG
    IMG_0540.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 651
does look like a miniaturized fancy picture frame. maybe a dollhouse item from a well to do family?

Upvote 0
I am guessing it used to be a two piece item because of the indention on the back left side. Probably used to hold an old photo.

Upvote 0
It's a colonial era shoe buckle like the ones pictured here. Nice find!

200112.image8.jpg

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Looks like a buckle to me.

Upvote 0
I'm thinking shoe buckle also. Are there any indications of where a chape or tongue may have been attached to it? Perhaps a nub or anything unusual inside the frame?

Upvote 0
if its a buckle wouldnt it have marks/indentation from where the pin clamps up against the frame?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys. I was definately thinking buckle when it came out of the ground but then I saw how flimsy it was. It's almost like tinfoil. You could completely crush it with one hand if you were so inclined. I cant really see any type of buckle being that flimsy.

Upvote 0
Evolution said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I was definately thinking buckle when it came out of the ground but then I saw how flimsy it was. It's almost like tinfoil. You could completely crush it with one hand if you were so inclined. I cant really see any type of buckle being that flimsy.

I have plenty of flimsy buckles. Remember lots of buckles were decorative & not functional. The fashion at the time meant they were for display on shoes etc.. not use.

Upvote 0
Could it be this as referenced from the Taynton Metal Detecting Club?

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back