✅ SOLVED Unknown item

Pepp

May 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone tell me if this is anything? I found it in south central Nebraska. Also found an arrowhead and many chips and flakes near the same area. I'm new to this, but have always wanted to find an artifact. The arrowhead that I found was the first I've ever found and it was a thrill! They were surface finds, and I'm anxious to explore the area further. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2012-05-15 07.10.58.jpg
    2012-05-15 07.10.58.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 80
  • 2012-05-15 07.11.27.jpg
    2012-05-15 07.11.27.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 83
It looks like a clad quarter and yes a rock. Arrowheads are made out of rock. I have a few made from Columbia river basalt, not an easy task and I believe a forgotten skill. Looking at the sharpness of fracture on your rock it may have been possible to make crude arrowheads from it and may have had shards spalled from it for crude scrapers or other.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help, yes looks as tho it has been "worked" so i was hopeful, but gonna keep seaching! I'm hooked now :)

Upvote 0
Great. It looks as I would have expected given the parent rock. When you had to have an arrowhead you would use the available rock. You would trade for better rock if this was the best you could find though. Good job.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back