✅ SOLVED Unknown iron item

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170702_184523.jpg

It definitely fit into something with that shaft, dunno if the roundish shape meant anything.

It kind of resembles the broken remains of a very old, handheld mirror?

Upvote 0
It looks like a melt blob that was poured on the ground.

Upvote 0
No offense, but... I think P.Allen isn't asking about the casting overflow (or fire-melted object), he means the object at lower right in the photo, which has a round hole in it, that he theorizes a shaft (or perhaps bolt) would fit through.

Upvote 0
No offense, but... I think P.Allen isn't asking about the casting overflow (or fire-melted object), he means the object at lower right in the photo, which has a round hole in it, that he theorizes a shaft (or perhaps bolt) would fit through.

Thanks CannonballGuy! Derp and speaking only of myself... :tard:

Upvote 0
No i was asking about the melt blob, that improvised sinker could have been made out of anything. Thanks all.

Upvote 0
No i was asking about the melt blob, that improvised sinker could have been made out of anything. Thanks all.

You maybe could show that to the Fire Nugget Club here at TreasureNet. They seem to like discussing what treasure it may have been before it was melted.

Unknown iron item

But first I have a question. Are you sure its iron? It doesnt look like Ferrous in the picture. Are these beach finds? It may be a melted blob of aluminum or pot metal that had some iron in it and the steel bolts or whatever rusted away from saltwater environment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was ferrous, stuck to my magnet while magnet fishing. River find near old Ford/Edison stomping grounds, area is littered with old industry sites that used the river. Sad thing is that those old industry sites destroyed a lot of historic ground, it's like that in a lot of places.

Upvote 0
Oh, I actually think that old sinker might have been made using an old cog key.

Upvote 0
It was ferrous, stuck to my magnet while magnet fishing. River find near old Ford/Edison stomping grounds, area is littered with old industry sites that used the river. Sad thing is that those old industry sites destroyed a lot of historic ground, it's like that in a lot of places.

Where do you get your magnet? I was thinking of trying that. I know of a canal that has numerous rifles in it but i would have to drag it with my canoe as Im unsure of the exact spot.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back