Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White Prism II
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok - Found this item . . .

photo 2.JPG

I believe it is brass or something brass plated. On the AT Gold came up a solid 83. No markings of any kind. They are about 2 inches long. I found this in a stream. The real mystery to me is why I found so many . . .

photo 1.JPG

29.5 in total. All found within about a 10 foot radius at least 20 feet off the edge of the stream. I know the stream has the following history:

• Civil War (although I don't believe these are that old)
  • A community pool right next to where I found them.
  • An iron forge was nearby (again I don't believe these would be that old)
  • A damn was recently dismantled up-stream from where I found them
  • Plenty of fishing
  • Nearby I found some old trap tags

I'm not sure it is related to any of these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again, I'd like to know what they are, and why so many would be in the same area. I'm not sure if they are individual pieces that were part of a large spill, or possibly they were all part of one thing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
How long are they,almost look like starter shims?

Upvote 0
How long are they,almost look like starter shims?

I've been showing these around to friends and some sort of shim has been brought up. Also, a latch of some kind. I have not been able to find any picture to match these yet.

Upvote 0
Its an electrical jumper. It connects one conductor to another on a pc board or other electrical devices. Some times you see them on old outlets.

David in TN.

Upvote 0
I can see how it would be either a starer (or some other type of) shim, or and electrical jumper. Using these for search terms I see similar images, but nothing yet that exactly matches the items I have. Also, I'm still trying to understand why I found so many together in a stream. I suppose often when we find things we have no idea why they got there or who put them there, but I'd like to understand why so many would be together?

Upvote 0
I think it's some sort of shim also. Maybe auto body related but not if it's solid brass. A magnet will answer that question. Probably came in a box originally and was lost that way. The box fell apart and the shims only moved a short distance away until you found them.

Upvote 0
I'd tend to agree with the ideas provided. I'm not sure I understand why I found so many but I suppose that is almost always the case with many things we find.

Thanks for all the help!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back