✅ SOLVED Unknown coin?

polly2h

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Hope some one can help! My son returned from a coin fair with this supposedly (????!!!!) genuine old coin (said to be viking) but he paid very little for it and I can't find an image of it anywhere. It is c.17mm across, up to c.1mm thick with some cracking around the edges. It is not magnetic and when tested with a garrett ace 250, gives similar reading to known silver coins (no doubt there are some other metals in that category too!). I have no accurate scales for it but it is heavy enough for the size. Thanks, Mick.

coin2.JPG

coin1.JPG

These are SO hard to determine with Western eyes... It appears to be an Islamic coin known as a "Samanta Deva jital". You can see the bull on the front and the horseman on the back. They range from 1000 A.D. give or take a few centuries. Cool coin but fairly common. You can do a Google image search to try to find a match.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
These are SO hard to determine with Western eyes... It appears to be an Islamic coin known as a "Samanta Deva jital". You can see the bull on the front and the horseman on the back. They range from 1000 A.D. give or take a few centuries. Cool coin but fairly common. You can do a Google image search to try to find a match.

DCMatt

Thanks so much DCMatt, this one has been driving me mad for months (I was checking Viking/Celtic....) and you've sorted it out within a couple of hours! Thanks for your help, Mick

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back