Unknown Civil War Era Button

MilitariaCollector

Dec 17, 2008
I found this button with some military pins at an antique store. The button is about the same diameter as a nickel, dome shape with 13 stars on the front, and has what looks like a "A" and "S" intertwined on the front. The back is somewhat hard to read, but looks like Scovill Mfg Co. Waterbury. Can anyone tell me if this button is military or for a fraternal organization? Any idea on the date? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 001 (640x550).jpg
    001 (640x550).jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 002 (640x573).jpg
    002 (640x573).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 114
It's upside-down, reads SV. That's a Sons of Veterans button. The SV was formed in 1881 (for descendants of veterans), so it would date to after that, but without being sure of the exact back mark, I can't be more specific.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's upside-down, reads SV. That's a Sons of Veterans button. The SV was formed in 1881 (for descendants of veterans), so it would date to after that, but without being sure of the exact back mark, I can't be more specific.

That was a good id there. I looked thru my books and didn't see it. Glad someone ided it.

Upvote 0
The button-book by Alphaeus H. Albert shows the exact-same version of MilitariaCollector's "Sons of Veterans" button in that book's section on Veterans Organizations buttons, as button VN-20A.

For anybody who is interested in additional information:
After the end of the civil war, veterans of each side formed two nationwide "fraternal-type" organizations. The one for the yankee veterans was called the "Grand Army of the Republic" (GAR). Its Confederate equivalent was the "United Confederate Veterans" (UCV). Members wore military-type uniforms when attending monthly meetings and annual conventions. Metal buttons showing the organization's logo/emblem were produced for use on those uniforms. See photos, below.

The "Sons of Veterans" organization was the yankee equivalent of the "Sons of Confederate Veterans" organization.

Attachments

• button_POSTWAR_GAR_Grand-Army-of-the-Republic_Union-Veterans-button_VT23a_jpg.jpg
    button_POSTWAR_GAR_Grand-Army-of-the-Republic_Union-Veterans-button_VT23a_jpg.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 597
  • button_POSTWAR_UCV_United-Confederate-Veterans_photobyRelicman_B5353A.jpg
    button_POSTWAR_UCV_United-Confederate-Veterans_photobyRelicman_B5353A.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 212
  • button_POSTWAR_SV_Sons-of-Union-Veterans_photobyRelicman_B6514A.jpg
    button_POSTWAR_SV_Sons-of-Union-Veterans_photobyRelicman_B6514A.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 0
The button-book by Alphaeus H. Albert shows the exact-same version of MilitariaCollector's "Sons of Veterans" button in that book's section on Veterans Organizations buttons, as button VN-20A.

For anybody who is interested in additional information:
After the end of the civil war, veterans of each side formed two nationwide "fraternal-type" organizations. The one for the yankee veterans was called the "Grand Army of the Republic" (GAR). Its Confederate equivalent was the "United Confederate Veterans" (UCV). Members wore military-type uniforms when attending monthly meetings and annual conventions. Metal buttons showing the organization's logo/emblem were produced for use on those uniforms. See photos, below.

The "Sons of Veterans" organization was the yankee equivalent of the "Sons of Confederate Veterans" organization.
,so i have a gar button, veteran of civil war , union ? correct ? HPIM1254.JPG

Upvote 0
Yes, you are correct. The one in the photo I posted above is the 2-piece version of GAR buttons. You dug the 3-piece version. (I've included a photo of the 3-piece version in my reply to your other post.)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back