Unknown Button Find - Please Help ID Maker & Era

angifogg

Apr 24, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This button was found in a field of an old homestead. It measures a bit bigger than a nickel and has a gold plated tone, which has been worn off a bit by being in the ground for many years. It looks almost copper under the goldish tone. The front of the button features a flower design and the back of the button is embossed with "Noricks & Co" (I think?) I have tried to Google the name but noting comes up. I am hoping to find someone who knows about metal type buttons and who could possible figure out the embossed name and era of this item,

Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• Unknown Button 001.jpg
    Unknown Button 001.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Unknown Button 002.jpg
    Unknown Button 002.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 158
It is civilian clothing "flower button." The type which is a 2-piece button with a raised-lettering backmark dates from the late-1820s through the 1860s. But because you can read at least part of the name in the backmark, it's possible to narrow down that date-range.

The name you are seeing isn't "ORICK" ... it is part of the name Kendrick. Mr. Kendrick was an owner in three successive button-making companies between 1829 and 1846, in Waterbury CT.

Leavenworths & Kendrick 1829-1834
1834-1837 Kendrick & Co.
1837-1846 Ives, Kendrick & Co.

I can only see a few of the backmark's other letters besides "drick & Co" in your photo. Please try to discern the other letters. They could be part of one of the backmarks I listed above, or they may be a quality-rating, such as Superfine or Extra Rich, etc.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back